• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 trailer behind a 5 ton?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

The only issue I see is that when you are backing the trailer up it will turn before you know it and you can jack knife it and bend the frame in a heartbeat.

This is especially true if you have a cargo cover on the truck and cannot see the trailer except with the mirrors.

A short trailer will make a fool out of the best driver if he is not used to maneuvering one.auaaua

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:tigger:

The only issue I see is that when you are backing the trailer up it will turn before you know it and you can jack knife it and bend the frame in a heartbeat.

This is especially true if you have a cargo cover on the truck and cannot see the trailer except with the mirrors.

A short trailer will make a fool out of the best driver if he is not used to maneuvering one.auaaua
I find backing these trailers improves one's ability. The M1102 is a very good teacher and quick to punish impatience.

As far as the thread, I would think they would be tilted slightly back when attached to a M939 series. Can you post a picture?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backing up with an 1102 behind my deuce on rough terrain made me feel like a fool. It does indeed turn before you can see it, and it turns FAST, especially when empty. But it pulled great. I couldn't feel it and could barely see it.

Seems like it would ride really high in the front hitched to a 5 ton.

61sleepercab

A friend of mine as a 17 year old Air Force bus driver was hauling prisoners and they would volunteer to watch out when backing up..... Its clear!......Monge Back!..... CRUNCH. He developed a cardinal rule NEVER BACK UP!!!!! I learned this handling a wood chipper pulled bu a single axle dump truck. When you see it in the mirrors it is too late!!!!

SUPERSPORT

....When you see it in the mirrors it is too late!!!!
This is about correct. I'm not really worried about backing up. I drive semi for UPS and pull doubles. When building your set we "cowboy" the dolly. We are not supposed to. Back first trailer with dolly already hooked up. 2 pivot points and you can't see the dolly. You get a "feel" and you turn before you need to. Like he said, when you see it in the mirrors it's too late.
0328071930.jpg

SUPERSPORT

Backing up with an 1102 behind my deuce on rough terrain made me feel like a fool. It does indeed turn before you can see it, and it turns FAST, especially when empty. But it pulled great. I couldn't feel it and could barely see it.

Seems like it would ride really high in the front hitched to a 5 ton.
This is what I am wondering. I think the lunette ring is 29.5" on M1102. My 5 ton is 40 miles away right now so I can't measure the pintle hook height. I think it may be about 6" or so higher. Can anyone run out and measure theirs?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I am wondering. I think the lunette ring is 29.5" on M1102. My 5 ton is 40 miles away right now so I can't measure the pintle hook height. I think it may be about 6" or so higher. Can anyone run out and measure theirs?
33" and I'm running XZL tires so that should be the tallest configuration.

Matt1970M35A

I have a M-149 water trailer behind my M35A2 loaded with a S280 so I can to see to back it.
So what I did was welded some tubing to the inside of the frame in a angle capped the bottom with a washer and drop in a red flag.
They stick out so I can see them. And when I forget to remove them no one tail gates me.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How much different is the 1101 compared to the 1102, I pulled a 1101 with my 819 as well as a 923/cover (1101 does lean back a bit), I had NO issues in backing down the road, into my driveway, and the 1101s home on the side of the shop.

SUPERSPORT

How much different is the 1101 compared to the 1102, I pulled a 1101 with my 819 as well as a 923/cover (1101 does lean back a bit), I had NO issues in backing down the road, into my driveway, and the 1101s home on the side of the shop.
I think they are exactly the same. Just different data plates. You have any pictures of it behind either set up?

capnkirk

I pulled a DRASH trailer behind my 923A2 yesterday for the first time. Blacking was actually not bad because with the spare tire removed, you could see most of the trailer through the back glass. With a spare on the rack, I'm betting it would be more if a challenge.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supersport is correct, they are the same.

I've pulled one behind my M931A2's, looks a bit funny, but works.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks