• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1114 Electrical Short Issue

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Each cylinder will have a piston at a different position creating a different volume. Just fill each one with as much as it accepts.

Woodshumvee

@TOBASH Pulled the oil filter and drain plug and it was full of anti freeze. Almost looked like clean green antifreeze at first, then some cleaner oil, then some clumpy stuff. I'm guessing oil cooler or head gasket or GP filled it with antifreeze. Think I need to lick my wounds on this one, will have to sell for parts. GP got me on this one.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@TOBASH Ill give it a shot and see what I can do. How much oil do you typically put in each cylinder? I ordered a borescope to have a look around also. Going to drop the oil and have a look at it, oil on dipstick looks new. There's nothing that would point to a lock up so im surprised, but I cant get the front pulley to budge.
Is the oil over full? you just need to let a little oil out of the pan to see if any water is in there.
It is also possible the IP is seized, you may want to pull the top off the IP and see if there is any sign of water, but I suspect you would get a little movement at the front pulley.
If the oil actually looks new as in not dark at all it might mean the engine was run without oil then oil added later :(

Woodshumvee

@Mogman yea I pulled the plug on the pan and you would have thought I was draining the radiator. Appears they may have topped it with oil after the fact as there is no other oil mix in overflow tank or radiator but I think the damage is done. As the rest of the oil drained out there was some dark clumpy sludge but no metal that I could see. I cant get the front pulley to budge an 1/8" either way. Probably fried the crank bearings. Oil filter was full of antifreeze too so they were running it. GP should do a better job or description with a "no start condition". A simple wrench on the crank and it would tell you everything you need to know. You couldn't of ever guessed by the photos that the engine was full of antifreeze or even water for that matter.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Mogman yea I pulled the plug on the pan and you would have thought I was draining the radiator. Appears they may have topped it with oil after the fact as there is no other oil mix in overflow tank or radiator but I think the damage is done. As the rest of the oil drained out there was some dark clumpy sludge but no metal that I could see. I cant get the front pulley to budge an 1/8" either way. Probably fried the crank bearings. Oil filter was full of antifreeze too so they were running it. GP should do a better job or description with a "no start condition". A simple wrench on the crank and it would tell you everything you need to know. You couldn't of ever guessed by the photos that the engine was full of antifreeze or even water for that matter.
Antifreeze sounds like a possible catastrophic failure of some type, like a rod came loose and busted the block, was the cooling system full?
I would be tempted to drop the pan and have a look see, also inspect the sides of the block carefully, unfortunately antifreeze in the oil is always bad news.
If it was run hot and had a head gasket/head failure the coolant would likely be emulsified with the oil, if something broke that stopped the engine fast enough the oil/coolant might not have mixed:(
You really cannot blame GP, they are not mechanics they just stick a slave cable on it and it ether starts or not.
EDIT, they highly recommend previewing items you are going to bid on, I am going tomorrow to look at two trucks and a motorcycle that are coming up for auction soon.
Keep us posted!!

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
water/glycol separate, once you open the drain on the pan…the water and glycol will run clean, followed by the oil.
Also, you will never see into a cylinder from the injector or glow plug hole…you will be peering into a pre-cup chamber…..folks need to learn how IDI diesel engines work,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks