• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Purchase and Build Thread - Virginia

MaverickH1

No updates from the DMV.

I finally got around to changing hub oils. There was quite a bit of sludge on the magnetic drain plug. Centramatic balancers for the Hummer H1 added at the same time as well as two new tire/wheels. Two of the tires on this truck were out of round ~5 mm and the ride was very rough sometimes. I replaced those two and the ride is much smoother. I have measured 3 of 4 of the tires and they are now ~ 2 mm out of round.

Transfer case is leaking a little bit. One geared hub is leaking out of the output seal, enough that I carry the appropriate ratchet and gear oil in the truck to check/fill periodically. I will rebuild those seals soon and add the BlueHummer spindle locking nut kits. Coolant is leaking a little bit.

I have 1700 miles on the truck now. Truck work has slowed down considerably now that it is on a regular maintenance schedule. It's a slow dog but it drives great. RPM at 65 MPH is ~2500 according to the tach I added. Fuel economy hovers at 12 mpg, but the last fill up I got 12.5 mpg. The new and balanced tires and an engine that is getting more broken in might give me a little boost, hopefully I can get 13 mpg regularly. I had hoped to get 13 or 14 mpg when I bought the truck. Hummer H1s on Fuelly are reported to get somewhere around 8, so I'm happy with 12.

My focus has turned back to building my garage/workshop. Once I have some direction from the DMV, mods on the HMMWV will be coming.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yours had the "SPINDLES" sticker on it so it should have the proper spindle lock washers on the hubs already. I would still check to be sure that the tabs are bent into the spaces sufficiently to be safe. Trust, but verify.

MaverickH1

Yours had the "SPINDLES" sticker on it so it should have the proper spindle lock washers on the hubs already. I would still check to be sure that the tabs are bent into the spaces sufficiently to be safe. Trust, but verify.
Agreed. I bought the BlueHummer kits for extra protection and a reusable locking nut kit. Wheels falling off on the highway is a common enough occurrence on Hummer H1s that it's made me fearful of it. The Civvy spindle locking mechanism is different than the military one (I think), but it's all mental to me. The BlueHummer kits are expensive as ****, IMO. But my brain thought it was worth it.

MaverickH1

Still no update from the DMV. I'll be having a phone conversation with my Delegate today to see what he recommends.

It has been 1 month since the last time they have contacted me to tell me I'd get an answer "soon". It has been 2 months since this started at the branch desk.

Last edited:

Lowmaks

Sorry to keep bothering you, Mav, but how did your phone call go? I just got my paperwork in the mail today from GP, so I'm starting to ask around about what a "clean SF97" will get me...walking on eggshells. Hope things are going well for you.

MaverickH1

Sorry to keep bothering you, Mav, but how did your phone call go? I just got my paperwork in the mail today from GP, so I'm starting to ask around about what a "clean SF97" will get me...walking on eggshells. Hope things are going well for you.
More vague "answers" with promises of action "tomorrow". He was confidently ignorant about the situation and kept waffling between contradictory statements.

When I asked about getting some protections codified in the law, he said he'd have to ask the State Police representative before he'd ever consider it. And in turn they might want to send someone out to inspect it.

/sigh.

I hate government.

Another Ahab

More vague "answers" with promises of action "tomorrow". He was confidently ignorant about the situation and kept waffling between contradictory statements.

When I asked about getting some protections codified in the law, he said he'd have to ask the State Police representative before he'd ever consider it. And in turn they might want to send someone out to inspect it.

/sigh.

I hate government.

It's a mixed blessing.

ruSSrt

read through whole thread and wishing ou luck on your registration journey.
eventually i would like to register and drive it in WA..... i really hope i dont have to go through what you are going.
looking forward to hear an update.

6X6WES

read whole thread as well.very interesting . waiting on my (off road use) m998 won on 3-28, paper work is all done except waiting on euc i wasn't planning on trying to tag. and sounds like even if they are they may not be permanently tagged . i got 2600 acres to play on in the back yard not mine but have written permission and there only 5 or so people allowed back there. i cant wait to test this truck out and if i get stuck i got a wrecker to retrieve woo hoo been 4 wheeling the 936 and 813 to cure my off road itch but there a little big and heavy. thanks will be monitoring this hot topic and thank you for fighting for us all!

MaverickH1

Still no word from the DMV.

Added an AM General wraparound heavy duty brushguard today. Much plasma cutting, grinding, and custom parts making required.

2.jpg1.jpg

trussmark

Just stopping in to see if there are any updates to the DMV and their actions, or lack there of. I'd like to get a street legal HMMWV, but if it's a crap shoot, I may re-think my next toy. Hope all is well, and thanks, in advance.

MaverickH1

Just stopping in to see if there are any updates to the DMV and their actions, or lack there of. I'd like to get a street legal HMMWV, but if it's a crap shoot, I may re-think my next toy. Hope all is well, and thanks, in advance.
No word from the DMV. My federal congressman has contacted the NHTSA on the issue, he might be considering a federal law to give protections to surplus equipment. I have informed him that the states are basically making it impossible for the feds to surplus equipment, and it is therefore a federal issue. It seems like he might be acting on that. But I'm going to ask his aid what his plan is.

I also sent the DMV another e-mail and blind copied my local congressman explaining that it's been 5 months since they threatened to revoke my plates, and I would like an update. For the first time, I told them that any change from their original position would likely result in legal action from me, and that I cannot wait any longer on putting even more money and time into the vehicle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks