• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m113

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That STARTED life as an M114. M113 as it's varients have 5 road wheels and the track is different. Also, the 113 has the engine in the very front of the carrier. Sad, just sad :cry:

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys that is the famous "Wood Tiger Cub" created by the minds at Southeastern Equipment, Augusta, GA. Many, many of these were used by power line contractors. Remember there was a period in time when this stuff was not viewed as a collector's item.

wehring

Yup...

Yup, NDT hit the nail on the head. They also cut the M75s up to make the Wood Tiger 2000s. The original Wood Tiger was built off of a highspeed tractor (M5?) chassis.

Justin Wehring
Richwood, TX

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was one on American Loggers like that.

NDT has it right. I remember reading that after WWII all sorts of tanks were surplussed out for different purposes, from light to heavy tanks. Most were hacked up for industrial use, farming tractors, skidders. Someone told me it's very rare to find a Locust light tank, much less the turret for one, since the few that got out had the turrets removed and used as farming tractors.

Ever wonder why there's a lot of halftracks from WWII with no rear armor? Because the armor was useless to a company that wanted to use them as log skidders, or in a quarry somewhere. Most times it was just cut off, saving a lot of weight and freeing up the horsepower to move other things.

AIE1

Many years ago I worked for an outfit called IRBY Construction out of Jackson, MS. They put up electric power towers. They had many of those "Wood Tigers" which I thought were Sherman Tank chassis, but could have been M5's. They were just cut hulls with an operators seat, engine and a big boom for setting the towers. That outfit worked all over the world and at the time I worked with them they had mostly surplus military vehicles in their fleet.

TacticalTruck

Ever wonder why there's a lot of halftracks from WWII with no rear armor? Because the armor was useless to a company that wanted to use them as log skidders, or in a quarry somewhere. Most times it was just cut off, saving a lot of weight and freeing up the horsepower to move other things.
Actually, the reason is because that was the de-mil for the half-track. Armor from the windshield back was removed. The M114 is probably in it's current state more as a result of our paranoid government than a redneck. The de-mil for APCs is to cut the hull around the waist, X-cut the top half and you are allowed to leave the drive train intact.

Jeff

baddog8it

I have an old parts and service manual from SECO for their M4 high speed tractor. For its age, I'd say it's in very good shape. I would hate to throw it away - I'm sure someone would find some use for it. I got it from my grandfathers estate - he was a mechanic for road construction companies. I'm sure that most of the information within is valid on the original equipment. The table of contents reads: Transmission & Differential, Final Drives, Suspensions, Winch and Controls, PTO. Attached pic is a sample.

If you want it, send me a message.
scan0001.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks