• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1151A1 HMMWV plenum crossover removal

rcamacho

I’m following TM sequence to service LH valve cover gasket. Plenum crossover and LH manifold must come off in sequence so as to not bend injection lines.

TM 9-2320-387-24-2
Sections
15-20
15-16
16-4
15-11

The problem is there is not enough clearance to remove crossover from turbo outlet. A pillar close out panel and dog house retainer have been removed per TM. Need 1” more clearance. Note crossover is not the cut and welded version.

looks like I have to lift the whole body or pull the turbo off.

Last edited:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm? I decided to try and remove my crossover without following the steps in the TM for the A-pillar close out and doghouse retainer. I had a couple inches of clearance and it looked doable. I was able to successfully remove my crossover with those in place, so not sure what’s going on. If I remember correctly, I had to lift vertically and rotate the crossover forward (clearing the turbo output) to gain the clearance (with heater duct/hose removed).

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the original GM cross over has a higher profile than the GEP cross over.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You’re body mounts have sagged over time, you will need to remove the 2 fronts, Jack up the body with 2 floor jacks about a 1/4-1/2in to gain the clearance, when you put it back, you might want to add an additional spacer to keep the clearance for later on….or just replace the mounts altogether.
also…the valve covers do not use a gasket per sey, they use sealant only, make sure to use a new valve cover.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two crossover sizes, as per Mogman’s prior post. The GEP is smaller. Tight on my ECV, but not problematic. Not sure if they are interchangeable BUT if they are you could consider swapping.

Best,

T

rcamacho

Ordering replacement body mounts now.
Per TM 9-2320-387-24P-C05
My 1151A1 is sub 3K serial number however it looks like the mounts can be updated to the new style.
Ordering a few 5340-01-568-4874

"AMG STARTED USING A NEWER VERSION OF THE MATERIAL IN 2019 TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE WITH THE CRACKING THAT WAS BEING EXPERIENCED IN PRIOR VERSIONS" -HPG

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two crossover sizes, as per Mogman’s prior post. The GEP is smaller. Tight on my ECV, but not problematic. Not sure if they are interchangeable BUT if they are you could consider swapping.

Best,

T
for all intents, there isn’t ’..…having had both units, the modifed crossover was used on early m1113 when AMG was still using up all of GM’s left overs, you will find civilian Turbo intake manifolds on many rebuilt GEP engines, the civilian manifolds are different as they have the provision cast into them for boost sensor and other emmisions related components.
With proper body mounts and spacers, in the OP’s example…his body mounts are worn and compressed over time, there is no need for a modified crossover. The difference in being able to get the crossover off and not getting off is literally a 1/4in.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
having had both units, the modifed crossover was used on early m1113 when AMG was still using up all of GM’s left overs, you will find civilian Turbo intake manifolds on many rebuilt GEP engines, the civilian manifolds are different as they have the provision cast into them for boost sensor and other emmisions related components.
So in other words there are two different castings. 🤡

I bought my truck from you… the body lift was and is perfect.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So in other words there are two different castings. 🤡

I bought my truck from you… the body lift was and is perfect.
right, but saying to go order the old isn’t a thing…ordering a new one will net you current production Part.
The OP’s truck is an Armament carrier, thus is had MCTAGS mounted on top…much heavier than what was on your 1st generation M1165

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the old version part no.RCSK17829

In the Govt parts world, the NSN does not change, the part number changes, so I searched the NSN on eBay…thus it produces both types, when you search the old part number on distributor web sites, you get the current GEP mfg’d part, RCSK17829 is a Mfg discontinued part.

rcamacho

I have the LT plenum and #1,3,5 injector lines off. Stuck on #7 as I can’t seem to get the crowfoot & wrench on from a LT attack position. Really would like to avoid having to remove the RT plenum and even numbered lines just to get #7 off.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the LT plenum and #1,3,5 injector lines off. Stuck on #7 as I can’t seem to get the crowfoot & wrench on from a LT attack position. Really would like to avoid having to remove the RT plenum and even numbered lines just to get #7 off.
You don’t need to remove them all, just bend the injection lines up out of the way carefully…No, the lined are not lined as some people like to say.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks