• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1152A1 LS & 6L80e Conversion

AmarokK9

Hello there All...

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and have finally decided to post about my 2006 M1152A1 HMMWV.

I initially purchased it from a specialty restoration company in Quebec. They found the M1152A1 in Texas, as an ex USMC unit, imported it and restored it. For the price I paid...I ultimately wasn't very happy with the vehicle. They cut a lot of corners and I ended up having a couple of issues before I even put a hundred miles on it.

Being a 3 hour drive from my place, it was less than convenient to get the vehicle back to them to fix the issues that had popped up: power steering hose had been rubbed through somehow, fuel return line was also rubbed through, fan clutch stopped working and ultimately...the OEM 4L80e started to act up (torque converter was cycling in and out of lock-up for no apparent reason).

With all the money spent...and the headaches that came with it...I decided to go a different route. The vehicle is now at my buddy's shop...15 minutes from my house...and the new driveline is being installed. We decided to go with a Chevrolet Performance LS3/480 and 6L80e (off-road) transmission as well as a Transfer Case Solutions NP241C. I'm keeping the original 24v electrical system for simplicity sake.

Before anyone asks why I decided to convert to gas...
The price of diesel in Canada is almost double what it is in the States.
Diesel engines & fuel are not happy in the cold, and it gets down below -30c regularly in the winter where I live.
The OEM 6.5 turbo was a pig. It drank like my ex girlfriend, but the power output was pathetic.

So far...the build is going well and I have attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure. I'll try to keep the thread updated as we progress. PS: The interior was slightly modified to accommodate K9 transportation...since I do a lot of it for work.

4.jpegIMG_7694.jpegIMG_8611.jpegIMG_8612.jpeg69298171069__47B7E9CE-D688-4CF0-B60C-F13CE0F1C068.jpeg004.jpeg013.jpeg026.jpeg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello there All...

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and have finally decided to post about my 2006 M1152A1 HMMWV.

I initially purchased it from a specialty restoration company in Quebec. They found the M1152A1 in Texas, as an ex USMC unit, imported it and restored it. For the price I paid...I ultimately wasn't very happy with the vehicle. They cut a lot of corners and I ended up having a couple of issues before I even put a hundred miles on it.

Being a 3 hour drive from my place, it was less than convenient to get the vehicle back to them to fix the issues that had popped up: power steering hose has been rubbed through somehow, fuel return line was also rubbed trough, fan clutch stopped working and ultimately...the OEM 4L80e started to act up (torque converter was cycling in and out of lock-up for no apparent reason).

With all the money spent...and the headaches that cam with it...I decided to go a different route. The vehicle is now at my buddy's shop...15 minutes from my house...and the new driveline is being installed. We decided to go with a Chevrolet Performance LS3/480 and 6L80e (off-road) transmission as well as a Transfer Case Solutions NP241C. I'm keeping the original 24v electrical system for simplicity sake.

Before anyone asks why I decided to convert to gas...
The price of diesel in Canada is almost double what it is in the States.
Diesel engines & fuel are not happy in the cold, and it gets down below -30c regularly in the winter where I live.
The OEM 6.5 turbo was a pig. It drank like my ex girlfriend, but the power output was pathetic.

So far...the build is going well and I have attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure. I'll try to keep the thread updated as we progress. PS: The interior was slightly modified to accommodate K9 transportation...since I do a lot of it for work.

View attachment 910095View attachment 910097View attachment 910098View attachment 910099View attachment 910100View attachment 910101View attachment 910102View attachment 910103
Wow! Sharp!
Hate that you got "done" on the deal the first time around, but hopefully the new fitment for the new power plant is your first move toward happiness.

AmarokK9

Update:
Progress is a bit slower than anticipated, but moving forward. We decides to go with Hooker Blackheart manifolds instead of headers for clearance/fitment reasons. Front drive is mocked up with the 24v 150amp alternator. Fuel system is done and now the new rad & fan mounts are being fabricated.
The coolest part (for me anyways)...the new exhaust exit...
021.jpeg
023.jpeg
028.jpeg
029.jpeg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran rapeseed oil and biodiesel in Canada. Screw the price of Diesel fuel!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks