• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165 issues

tgejesse

Few issues while working on the 1165 today!

For the female door hinges, the standard hinge bolt does not want to thread in. I’m convinced it’s a totally different thread. Has anyone figured this one out?

And second, the center hood bumper is totally misaligned. Does the armor hood bumper land in a different location than dead center? To line up with the hood correctly the whole bumper needs to shift almost half an inch (possibly even a little more, hard to tell)

And the turbo CDR bolts are different than non turbo … but I’ll probably be able to figure that one out from the TM tonight LOL

Attachments

tgejesse

Hmm, the hinge bolts should work. There are 16 positions on the truck, have you tried others? Where did you get the hinge bolts?
I have. They thread no problem for the a pillar, but not the b pillar. It was a formally armored truck as you can see so not sure if that has to do with it

From western Kentucky surplus

Autonomy_Lost

I have. They thread no problem for the a pillar, but not the b pillar. It was a formally armored truck as you can see so not sure if that has to do with it

From western Kentucky surplus
My formerly armored m1151 uses standard hinge bolts for all 4 positions. I got the bolts from MAC Motors.

I believe those threaded holes are not used when the armored doors are installed, so there might be some corrosion getting in your way. Maybe try cleaning them out with some pentrating oil and a round wire brush? Maybe a .22 chamber brush?

Also, if I recall correctly mine were pretty tight. Perhaps they use a bit of a distorted thread design to keep them from coming loose.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the hood aligned? Make sure the bumper is not "pushing" the hood into place, have another person hold the other side and hold it above the bumper and check the alignment, super easy to adjust.
Also with the hood open make sure the bumper is centered on the bracket it's bolted to.

tgejesse

Is the hood aligned? Make sure the bumper is not "pushing" the hood into place, have another person hold the other side and hold it above the bumper and check the alignment, super easy to adjust.
Also with the hood open make sure the bumper is centered on the bracket it's bolted to.
You know what. I don’t think it is. It’s getting stuck on the air filter box and the hood holder upper (LOL) doesn’t catch correctly. I will look tomorrow, good call!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC that thread for the door hinge is 1/4-20, again IIRC most of the "body" bolts are USS ( USA course thread) there may be exceptions.

tgejesse

Update. No idea why the hood isn’t centered. Everything looks right. Spacing on the ECV grill looks even on both sides. Going to just bore out the bracket holes to slide it 1/4 inch and call it a day… LOL

as for the hinge bolts. Still no idea what’s going on. The threads look pristine because it was covered by armor. I don’t want to run a tap through it until I see what the correct size is

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just look at the bolts you have, it is going to be "standard" thread.
If the threads look pristine then I would suspect it came with "interference" or locking threads to keep them from coming loose and running a tap through will defeat that intention.
Looking in the parts TM I see part number 5306013235535 for the bolt. that is a 1/4-20X3/4", that may not be correct for your application "length" but the threads will be the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks