• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165A1 Headlights Burning Out

dodgemain

Hi,
The headlights on my M1165A1 have not worked since I've owned it. They burnout within minutes if I attempt to use them. I have installed a grounding harness and think I checked all the grounds. Also tried a different light switch, voltage regulator, and controller. All the voltage readings seem fine though they do fluctuate some. Any suggestions on what or how I should be checking things would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the basic questions… What voltage lightbulbs are you using, 12 or 24? What brand? What country of manufacture?

What is the voltage fluctuation you are seeing?

What is the upper limit of the voltage you’re seeing?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems you went to allot of work when the first thing you should have done was pull and tested the headlights, my guess they were the wrong ones to start with.
You may see voltage fluctuations for a few minutes after start up because of the glow plug afterglow, usually too high a voltage gets the smaller bulbs first.
EDIT, just check the voltage at the headlight leads, anything under 30V should be OK as far as the headlights are concerned, I can see no way that a grounding issue can burn out a headlight but again that grounding kit seems to be the first thing everyone goes to instead of actually troubleshooting the problem.

Last edited:

dodgemain

Hi,
The voltage is under 30 at the headlights. Will have to check it again to get the actual readings. I have went through 3 sets of headlights (they were the correct bulbs) trying to fix this issue. I need tips on how to troubleshoot the real problem. Because obviously what I have been doing is not helping the situation.
Thanks

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think all of us want to take a “show me” approach. Your descriptors make that difficult.

You said you checked voltages but you didn’t provide values.

You went through three sets of bulbs but you didn’t disclose anything other that. “I bought the right bulbs”. No description of brand/voltage/LED vs incandescent.

You described voltage “fluctuations” but you did not quantify.

You have a forum full of helpers BUT there is an old computer expression… “Garbage in, Garbage out”.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think all of us want to take a “show me” approach. Your descriptors make that difficult.

You said you checked voltages but you didn’t provide values.

You went through three sets of bulbs but you didn’t disclose anything other that. “I bought the right bulbs”. No description of brand/voltage/LED vs incandescent.

You described voltage “fluctuations” but you did not quantify.

You have a forum full of helpers BUT there is an old computer expression… “Garbage in, Garbage out”.
Yeah @dodgemain , what Tobash suggested please.
My version is Be Specific to Be Terrific and the guys can definitely be more helpful.

Don't take it personal...
Just trying to help us understand a little better.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen the wires backwards wired. make sure the correct wire tag is in the correct position of the plug on the bucket. Sounds like the ground and either low or high beam wire are crossed at the bucket.

Follow the canon plug for the hood all the way to the lights and make sure none of the wires are frayed or cut.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason we are asking about what you are using is because there are allot of folks selling "cheap" LED headlights some even marked 24V that are not.
IMHO LED head lights are for Prius and Tesla's real men find their way with tungsten!!

williamh

I can’t see even wiring them “wrong” causing them to burn out , 24v across even or “backward “ won’t do crap. Unless it’s getting 30+ Volts won’t do crap other than burning real bright for “several” seconds before going all Kodak flash,if it’s a regular bulb you should see it’s too fu@n bright than. Poof. There should be a list of gauges going out and the voltage meter redlining before the light burn. Plus all the other tail light bulbs goin poof.

papakb

My suggestion would be to find a multimeter with a "peak hold" function and connect it to your headlight wiring, either #17 or #18, (91 is ground) and then turn on the headlights. This will read the peak surge voltage as they get powered up. See if it exceeds 30 volts.

I've been running Truck-lite LED headlights in mine for years now and really like the high intensity white light along with an exceptional light pattern and their reduced current draw.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP has not responded, despite our multiple posts, since noon yesterday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks