• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116a2 Question

max bowtie

Finally won a auction on a M116a2 with a MEP-003a! I guess I'm going to bring a trailer with me to load it on because it sounds like getting temp tags for it are a PITA. My stupid rookie question is, how does the jack on the tongue of the trailer operate? I have poured over pictures and haven't been able to see exactly how it functions. Is it just set for one height or can you adjust it up and down like the civilian trailer jacks?

thanks

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Most are set for one height. You pull the release and it swings up 90 degrees out of the way. It may have a newer crank up leg on it (it will be made of square tube with a round foot) that operates the same but is adjustable for height if you have the handle to operate it.

pmramsey

it requires a "Z" shaped crank with a small open notch on one end. the "T" shaped insert on the landing leg is located on the driver's side of the leg. once the truck and trailer are connected, raise the leg by cranking the leg up sufficiently until it can be folded backwards after having pulled the "L" shaped release pin. The pin locks the leg into the up position parallel to the to the tongue. hope this helps. the trailer will usually not have one of the crank handles.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you asked your DMV about a one-trip tag? I don't know about your state, but in Texas, you can buy what is generically called a trip ticket for $5. It is for a one-way trip and good for 15 days. You give them some basic information on the vehicle, and haul away legally. You can get them online too.
I do this for vehicle/trailer recoveries, or when driving my trucks for uses outside their Preserved MV registration.

Anyway, don't know if y'all (or one of the other states you have to drive through?) have something like that, but worth looking into.

Cheers

harleyhouse

A bill of sale will get you home. Make sure the lights work before hitting the road, if nothing else go buy a cheap set of magnetic towing lights (harbor freight, etc). Call you insurance man and tell him that you'll be towing it home, you'll probably find that your insurance automatically covers the trailer.

Last edited:

max bowtie

Have you asked your DMV about a one-trip tag? I don't know about your state, but in Texas, you can buy what is generically called a trip ticket for $5. It is for a one-way trip and good for 15 days. You give them some basic information on the vehicle, and haul away legally. You can get them online too.
I do this for vehicle/trailer recoveries, or when driving my trucks for uses outside their Preserved MV registration.

Anyway, don't know if y'all (or one of the other states you have to drive through?) have something like that, but worth looking into.

Cheers
Yeah I checked with MD MVA and they said that I have to have a title to get any kind of tags. And they don't appear to have in-transit tags. Looked into GA as well but couldn't find much info. I'd rather tow it instead of dragging a trailer down and loading it up but my luck isn't so good so... Hahaha

max bowtie

A bill of sale will get you home. Make sure the lights work before hitting the road, if nothing else go buy a cheap set of magnetic towing lights (harbor freight, etc). Call you insurance man and tell him that you'll be towing it home, you'll probably find that your insurance automatically covers the trailer.
Yeah I debated that because I have the bill of sale in hand now...

max bowtie

Harleyhouse, I will be towing with a silverado 2500. Did you find the safety chains too short and or the hooks to large for the stock hitch? If so, how did you overcome this?

quickfarms

Harleyhouse, I will be towing with a silverado 2500. Did you find the safety chains too short and or the hooks to large for the stock hitch? If so, how did you overcome this?
I use shackles to extend the chains, you just have to remember to have the trailer straight with the truck when you hook and unhook them. You can still have trouble crossing them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406318997.088945.jpg

quickfarms

Great! Thanks quickfarms
You are welcome

I started doing it years ago with a m416 and has worked well with the m101 and m116 series of trailers

If this is still to short you could double the shackles but I would wire the tow hooks for safety

Technically you are always required to wire the tow hooks so they do not fall off

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the most part, you can explain yourself if you get stopped. Copy of signed receipt from the pickup location and a brief explano of how the gov't works and you will be driving away.

max bowtie

Quickfarms, that was one of the things that crossed my mind but I'm glad you posted a pic so I could see how it worked. Hope I don't have to double up the shackles but it sounds like they are pretty close to being too short...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks