• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A2 Rusted Master Cylinder - Total loss?

b2948kevin

I bought an M116A2 trailer from GL in January and have just gotten around to messing with it. I opened the fluid reservoir to check the level and it was bone dry (no water, no brake fluid) with a bunch of rust inside. Even the passages are rusted closed. I'm thinking the MC will need to be replaced for certain. The piston still moves back and forth fairly easily. I disconnected the connector on the front and the line looks clear, but I can only see a little ways inside.

Here's my question - What are the chances that the rest of the system are not completely rusted and destroyed? Anyone know what the lines are made of? Anything that rusts? How about the calipers? What are the chances that these might still work?

I'd hate to buy a master cylinder and install it just to find out that the remainder of the system is a total loss.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disconnect the outlet line and look. It won't be the first that needs to be rebuilt! Is the rest of the system/ line intact? You have to look underneath, to see that.

b2948kevin

Thanks guys. I was under the trailer yesterday and all of the lines are intact, I just don't know if the lines are rusted inside. No idea about the wheel calipers either.

Anyone ever had to rebuild/replace calipers on these? Is it worth doing?

RWG

If there is rust in the lines and system, you can get parts from a company named Dexter, whom made the axels for some of these trailers. Wheel cylinders were still available a couple of years ago. Brake lines can be purchased from Oreillys or other auto suppliers. You can fab up the system and bleed it out, using any type of brake fluid you like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks