• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m116A3 flatbed converted to cargo

dirtyfingernails

I have two 116A3s. Both flatbeds. So, to make one more useful, I converted it to a cargo--very inexpensively. $30 in lumber, $20 in steel, $20 in fasteners. I plan to weld a drop tailgate with hardware cloth on it. Should be mighty handy.

Attachments

NMC_EXP

Looks good.

Anyone know if a communications shelter will fit on an M116 platform?

Might be a good way to make a low center of gravity camper.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good.

Anyone know if a communications shelter will fit on an M116 platform?

Might be a good way to make a low center of gravity camper.
The M101, M101A1 and M101A2 as well as the M116 trailers only have 45" between the fenderwells. The only one with more is the M101A3 with 55" between them.

JB

Nice job DF. Just a suggestion but you may want to put a couple of metal straps or wood supports vertically in front of and behind the wheel wells for support & to keep it from bowing out. Also one or two on the front bulk head.

Again nice job seeing yours is a good inspiration.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. I'm getting all kinds of good ideas on what to do with my trailers.

:)

sw

dirtyfingernails

JB,
Yea, I still have that to do. I will run a piece of U metal stock down the sides and weld it to plate that I will bolt to the fenderwell. It was really quite easy and fun. If I had to do it again, I would use wider angle stock for the corners. The bolt overlap at the front was tough.

papercu

There was one sold on ebay that used the original bows, then fitted the wood sides so that the cargo cover could be used if needed. Wayne

Green_gator

DF,
Good to hear from you again, seems a while since I saw a post from you. That is a good looking set up and gives me some ideas of what to do with mine. I picked one of those up in Jax last year and have not decided what to do with it yet.

Nonotagain

Is there a flatbed version of the M101A3 with the 55" spacing?

Thanks

Jim
The M116A3 is the base chasis that the M101A3 is built upon.

You can remove the fender extensions on the M116 and then relocate the fenders outboard to get the 55" width.

Not having mine at home, I can't remember if the fenders are bolted on or are welded in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks