• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Landing Gear Crank Fabrication & 12 volt LED Conversion

ACO43

Finally picked up an M116A3 (Thanks DSD277) and I got to work on a few things this week. The ultimate plan is a small camping trailer build.

First thing, as with most of them, the front landing gear crank was MIA so I found a thread here with the measurements for one and dug through the odds and ends in the garage and came up with this...

...made it out of a piece of steel strap, a 1/4" x 4" carriage bolt, a piece of copper pipe (covering the 1/4" carriage bolt), a 1/2" X 5 1/2" carriage bolt, and an old 1/2" impact socket that I notched with a Dremel cutting wheel to fit the pins on the landing gear crank shaft. I still need to give it a couple more coats of paint and I think I'll deepen the notches a little but it works and the only part I had to buy was the 1/2" carriage bolt that cost $2.15.

I then went to re-wire the lights to a flat 4 connector and switched the 24-volt bulbs for 10-30 volt LEDs…. Went from…

...to...

... Since the military plug was trashed anyway I unplugged the wiring inside the junction box on the trailer tongue and cut the male connectors off and soldered then to the flat 4 wiring and plugged them back in. I left a little extra wire coiled up with a couple zip ties inside the junction box in case I need to make the flat 4 wiring a little longer. Went from…

…to…

Anyway, so far, so good. Lights work great. The next thing on the agenda is to take the landing gear off and open it up and clean and lube it. I noticed there are already 4 holes in the foot of the landing gear, I’m thinking that’s for drainage, but I might see if I can attach some type of wheel on there. It would make moving the trailer around the driveway a little easier.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t forget marker lights when you finish your camper.
Being seen at night is always a plus.

Have you already checked your brakes (system) and wheel bearings/seals?
Most need attention after auction.

Those are great trailers.
Your gonna love it!

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question you all. Have any of you pulled out the guts of these buckets and replaced them with Truk-lite led. See pic. First pic is old bucket. Second pic is new Truk-Lite number along with pics of new led witch will attach to the bucket.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
depending on the manufacture of the original bucket, Try a test fit on depth then it can be stripped out and drill a larger hole to pass the cables but way much easier to find the original style empty buckets for the LED lights. Truck lite and grote buckets should be interchangeable for LED and there are others out there making LED's for the military.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have Replaced mine with the LED face. They don't line up right with the metal buckets, but do one the plastic ones. My experience anyway. I also like the fact that they are dual voltage, no need to convert 24/12v - they work on both!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks