• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 New Owner Newbie Questions

glassk

Did you DIY with on your trailer? Did you have to do any additional modifications to make it work. An estimate from my local trailer shop came back at $880 for an axle swap but I don't have the line item cost breakdown for that. I.E. How much of that is labor. I was guessing around $400 for a new axle and hubs.

Thanks
Chris
Mine is a 3500lbs 4" drop, around $270 with hubs, also went from under slung to over , cut and used the original shock mounts with a friend doing the welding , my goal was a light trailer without brakes and it tracks in my trucks path. Added a collar hitch and shortened the rear leg by about 4 inches. I Figured it came with parking brakes only and a 3" frame with a 900 lbs. generator and it works out for me.

Since it is a swap, make sure of the wheels you are planning on using and the off set, hub face to hub face is wide on it now and the wheels set the track, so a heavy duty axle with brakes and wiring and the other labor is in that $880.

1Louder

I am going to switch out my axle so I can match my FJ wheel pattern and track. Thanks for all of the advice to date. So my next question is, is there demand for the axle? I will likely put in on eBay and Craigslist in a few weeks once the change has been completed.

I will post up pictures when the change has been completed.

Thanks!
Chris

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure your new axle has manual parking brakes.
I am going with electric brakes so that isn't an option. All the hydraulic components of the trailer have been removed because they were bad on this trailer. I will miss the hand brakes though.
Manual handbrakes are always an option. Wheel chocks. Engineer a place to store a pair on each side and you will be fine.

glassk

M116A1.jpgM116A1-1.jpg

I'm still trying some different ideas, that is a swing down wheel, (from a liquid oxygen cart) plus the jack rotates.

Hello all. I am also a new owner of an M116A3 trailer. Mine is a 2010 and is essentially all original - in great shape. I am going to tow it with my Wrangler, though, and it is quite high. I understand that I can replace the wheels and tires with 16 inch 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern GM wheels. That's great news, and I intend to do that, but what I am trying to figure out is whether I will be able to keep the hub from the trailer as is. I mean, will I be able to keep the surge breaks and the hand breaks? Will that big hub fit behind a 16" GM wheel?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all. I am also a new owner of an M116A3 trailer. Mine is a 2010 and is essentially all original - in great shape. I am going to tow it with my Wrangler, though, and it is quite high. I understand that I can replace the wheels and tires with 16 inch 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern GM wheels. That's great news, and I intend to do that, but what I am trying to figure out is whether I will be able to keep the hub from the trailer as is. I mean, will I be able to keep the surge breaks and the hand breaks? Will that big hub fit behind a 16" GM wheel?
Did you search like recommended in your other posting response?
Its been covered many times and all your questions have been answered before.
Tons of great info on this site about it.

Search and and recommend start reading old threads.
You will find answers to questions you haven’t even thought of yet.

yes

I certainly thought I did, man.

I read every other post about M116A3 trailers on here. My question specifically relates to the hub fitting behind a 16" GM wheel - and I am virtually certain no one actually discussed that issue.

They talked about the fact that a GM wheel will fit the bolt pattern, and things along those lines, but no one mentioned the hub. See, I don't want to spend the money on new wheels if I am not going to be able to use them with the surge breaks.

I don't know, though. Perhaps with your vast experience, you thought the answer to my question should have been self evident based on the other discussions. Or, perhaps you have superior search skills on this site. In either case, I apologize profusely if I offended you in any way or wasted any of your time with a ridiculous, redundant question.

Did you search like recommended in your other posting response?
Its been covered many times and all your questions have been answered before.
Tons of great info on this site about it.

Search and and recommend start reading old threads.
You will find answers to questions you haven’t even thought of yet.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I certainly thought I did, man.

I read every other post about M116A3 trailers on here. My question specifically relates to the hub fitting behind a 16" GM wheel - and I am virtually certain no one actually discussed that issue.

They talked about the fact that a GM wheel will fit the bolt pattern, and things along those lines, but no one mentioned the hub. See, I don't want to spend the money on new wheels if I am not going to be able to use them with the surge breaks.

I don't know, though. Perhaps with your vast experience, you thought the answer to my question should have been self evident based on the other discussions. Or, perhaps you have superior search skills on this site. In either case, I apologize profusely if I offended you in any way or wasted any of your time with a ridiculous, redundant question.
A simple yes, without all the sharp tones, would have sufficed.
Just asking if you did your due diligence in searching and reading.
If you didn’t find exactly what you’re needing to know, then of course ask.

I know it’s been covered. Wheels, hubs and all.
What fits, what might fit and what will not fit. With hub through or behind wheel.
Finding that information when you need it can be a challenge.

My “vast experience” if you can call it that, is that I read old threads and have two of the A2 models that I use almost daily. Brought both back from the dead. So I do know a little about these.
Any wheel that fits an A2 will also fit an A3.

So relax......I’m on your side.

MarcusOReallyus

A simple yes, without all the sharp tones, would have sufficed.
After you jumped on him about searching? I think his response was quite reasonable.

Other than the fact he's from Silver Springs, and a jarhead to boot, he seems like a nice guy to me.

/ducks/

;)

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
“Jumped”?
Really??

If he would have spent the same amount of time actually searching instead of snapping back he might have found the answer he needed.