• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 question

smokem joe

I have one that sits a little higher than I'd like for towing with my vehicle. I know I could change the tires and wheels and lower it, but it would be far cheaper to be able to lower the pintle by a few inches. I think the DRASH trailers had an adjustable pintle setup welded on most of them instead of just a welded pintle. The other advantage would be the ability to put a 2" or 2-5/16" ball hitch on it with only a couple bolts to change. Anyone know the part number for this part on the DRASH or made this themselves? The adjustable channel with pintle or ball hitch is about $50 and I can weld it together, but if it is available already made that would save me some time.

smokem joe

That is exactly what I am looking for! It can be made easily enough, but I'm sure cutting the pintle ring off the existing won't be fun. Can you confirm a model number on a trailer that would be on?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'm not real familiar with the DRASH trailers and the model numbers of them but from what I understand the earliest had a regular lunette like your m116a3. The next generation had the adjustable lunette and then after that they switched over to a different style hitch on the later ones and that's a totally different setup. The complete hitch assemblies on the earlier ones are the same as on the m101/m116 series trailers with surge brakes but they're reinforced and welded to another plate to fit the DRASH trailer frame. If you find the whole thing you can keep the master cylinder, shock absorber, etc. for spares. I found my hitch on eBay a couple years back.

smokem joe

I might keep an eye on fleabay before I fabricate my own then.

harleyhouse I had found a couple that people had made like that. I'd weld a brace in those for sure if I were to do something like that. Not that an 803 is much weight to be pushing a trailer around, but I have seen to many single axle trailers wrecked on expressways. They tend to walk around more, and if it started to sway some there would be a lot of stress on those drops. I wanted the channel just to be able to adjust height for different vehicle or to switch to ball coupler if I wanted to.

smokem joe

Actually there is a new one on fleabay right now. I'm not paying $500 for it though! I can make one for about $50 and I wouldn't have but a couple hours in it

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Actually there is a new one on fleabay right now. I'm not paying $500 for it though! I can make one for about $50 and I wouldn't have but a couple hours in it
Yeah I would pass at $500. I think I paid around $200 for the whole assembly I bought. Not terrible considering the price of the shock absorbers as of late.
It's hard to see in my picture but the DRASH hitch also has plate welded on either side in addition to the gussets for the channel.

smokem joe

harleyhouse that one reason I want the channel, to be able to switch from ball to pintle.

Evil Dr Porkchop $200 would be more reasonable for a complete working unit. I'm sure someone will give the guy $500 for a new one but it won't be me!

smokem joe

Just to provide closure and ideas for others this is what I ended up doing. Channel and pintle were like $40. I cut the old one up and welding this together and hit it with some spray paint I had.

IMG_1430.jpg

smokem joe

That helps because while I was in there I discovered the shock is shot. I was going to start looking for the part number. This the most reasonable place to find them?

Zed254

I saved that pdf file when I first got my generator in early 2017 in case I had problems. I recall seeing shock prices way higher for the M116A3 than for the LTT series of trailers and that did not make sense to me. Armed with the part number you need I would start searching various sites. I think etrailer has parts for the LTT trailers. Marine supply sites also sell trailer parts. Croft, I think, is pretty high for that piston.

Just stumbled around the net: cheapest price I found was at Croft for the 1844-2 Hydro-Act Actuator Damper Shock. Now if you need HMMWV shocks they are all over the auction site for WAY less $$.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks