• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Recovery Questions?

ecupirate

I am looking at getting a M116A3 trailer. I am interested in the regular bodied trailer as well as the flatbed model that I guess were used for hauling generators. As far as recovery from DRMO goes...do these have to be trailered off the lot or can you tow them if they are towable. I have a full size chevy pickup to tow with and I know these trailers have the inertia type braking. I was just going to bring some magnetic lights and some tools and some air. Is there anything else I need to take?? Thanks so much!!

markmontana

You can tow them off the lot. Air up the tires and make sure brakes (if any) are released. Check for any serious wheel wobble. I like to get off the base and pull into a truck stop and do a complete check. Then pull over after a few miles of hiway travel and check for hot hubs. Typically no problems.

Good Luck.

-

steelandcanvas

Look very closely at the surge brake actuator. My 116 was missing 2 bolts and required a little improvise, adapt, and overcome thought. The missing 2 bolts are up inside the tongue, and almost impossible to get to. The existing 2 bolts will not support the weight placed on the lunette. Take a couple large, hefty, raatcheting tie-down straps with you just in case.

TIGERFANS2

a helper or a hi-lift jack

edited to add: chain strechers, A1's and A2's have chains that are too short to reach the holes on your receiver hitch, not sure about the A3 but just sayin......

Last edited:

dirtyfingernails

I always carried a spare tire. Pattern is 8 on 6.5 inches. I agree with steelandcanvas and others--check it out thoroughly after you get off base/post. One that I purchased had a single bolt (partially threaded) holding one of the backing plates on. That'll get your attention real fast! Nice little trailers.

Nonotagain

The M116A3's are typically in good shape when received.

As the others have stated, check the attachment of the lunette/surge brake coupler.

As for removal from the base, I've yet to be rushed on performing my inspections prior to removal.

Grab the top of the wheel and push and pull to see if there is any slop in the bearings. Check the tire pressure as the run flats won't show low air pressure without an air pressure gauge. Also check the lug nuts.

Check the break-away cable ratchet as frequently they get applied and you won't find that out until you get a few miles down the road.

The safety chains are a bit short. I went to a local trailer place and purchased a second set of safety chains and quick links to lengthen the assembly.

The cheap magnetic tow lights won't stay mounted on the bed if you hit bumpy roads. Been there, done that. Duct tape them down or get a good set of lights with strong magnets.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M116A3 trailers tow great. I've pulled mine several hundred miles with no issues. I use magnetic lights and as mentioned previously, the magnets won't always hold them. When I use the magnetic lights I always take a bunch of 12" wire ties to hold the lights, light wiring harness, etc. I also take a supply of DOT 5 brake fluid and a full air tank for low tires. Always check the hubs on the trip to look for overheating bearings. When towing with the F-150 I use an offset pintle hitch to level the trailer.