• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116a3 types of beds?

maxtor

Has anyone seen a bed like what is on a M1101, on a M116 trailer?
I have done some searches and see the flatbed, or just the chassis. I am looking into using one of our M116a3 trailers to haul firewood, but to do that you need sides, preferably four foot sides. Has anyone here modified one to haul firewood?

quickfarms

Has anyone seen a bed like what is on a M1101, on a M116 trailer?
I have done some searches and see the flatbed, or just the chassis. I am looking into using one of our M116a3 trailers to haul firewood, but to do that you need sides, preferably four foot sides. Has anyone here modified one to haul firewood?
It is called a M101A2 or M101A3, they both use the M116 frame

You could also just add stake pockets to the flat bed

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
We had a member here on SS put an M105 bed on a 116 frame. He said it worked well.

I can't imagine it would be very hard to fab some sides up to haul wood. No tube or sheet metal near you?

maxtor

It is called a M101A2 or M101A3, they both use the M116 frame

You could also just add stake pockets to the flat bed
Thanks, I did not know about the M101A2 or M101A3 having the same frame. I will look into those beds.
I have been looking into adding stake pockets. If I remove the outer removable fender on the M116a3, it would create a straight line for adding stake pockets and building side rails.
Thanks again.

maxtor

We had a member here on SS put an M105 bed on a 116 frame. He said it worked well.

I can't imagine it would be very hard to fab some sides up to haul wood. No tube or sheet metal near you?
There is a place that sells stake pocket in our area. Thanks for the ideas.

quickfarms

There is a place that sells stake pocket in our area. Thanks for the ideas.
I have found that 2x4 3/16 wall box tubing makes better stake pockets for regular 2x4's. A lot of the factory stake pockets are made to use special stakes and are very sloppy with 2x4's

1.5x2 0.90 wall box tubing makes stake pockets for the 3/4 an 1.5 ton trailer sides.

maxtor

I have found that 2x4 3/16 wall box tubing makes better stake pockets for regular 2x4's. A lot of the factory stake pockets are made to use special stakes and are very sloppy with 2x4's

1.5x2 0.90 wall box tubing makes stake pockets for the 3/4 an 1.5 ton trailer sides.
Good information... Thanks.

maxtor

L.A. is about 600 miles south of us. We have a Home Depot here, that should have what we need. Also a Steel Supply that has stake pockets. I am going around today to get the needed supplies for the build.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.