• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116a3 Welding trailer build.

Robby116a3

New member here not sure if this is where to post this, but, I’m Converting a M116a3 trailer I acquired acouple weeks back into a welding trailer, just finished mounting some Surplus OSKOSH mud flaps on it and also finished up wiring the 7 pin plug to fit my truck. Coming together.

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about you, but I always want a cut off torch handy. I used an 1101 and lay 2 oxygen (oxygen can lay down) tanks next to the welder, and have a place for 2 20# LP tanks. I went with a smaller tire to bring mine level.

Looks like a good start. If you go for a roof, put some slope on it so it doesn't pool water.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 98G

Robby116a3

I don't know about you, but I always want a cut off torch handy. I used an 1101 and lay 2 oxygen (oxygen can lay down) tanks next to the welder, and have a place for 2 20# LP tanks. I went with a smaller tire to bring mine level.

Looks like a good start. If you go for a roof, put some slope on it so it doesn't pool water.
Interesting, wasn’t planning on building a roof for mine but now that you mention it; it seems like a decent idea....
And that was one of my concerns is where I was gonna put the oxy acetylene tanks, thought of cutting out one of the floors and having them lower than the trailer platform but then I lose some ground clearance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I am currently building the same intention project with a m200 trailer. My welder is an old air cooled dc unit. Going to add a MEP002 or 3. My hypertherm 900 plasma with a 60gal air tank and torch. One trailer with everything that only a big truck can pull and stop to detour folks from stealing it. Looking at doing an overhead cover for the trailer as well

Robby116a3

I am currently building the same intention project with a m200 trailer. My welder is an old air cooled dc unit. Going to add a MEP002 or 3. My hypertherm 900 plasma with a 60gal air tank and torch. One trailer with everything that only a big truck can pull and stop to detour folks from stealing it. Looking at doing an overhead cover for the trailer as well
I was looking at the m200s but for some reason I thought they had air brakes and I figured they had to be pulled buy a truck of decent size, I think this m116a3 will work perfect and I’m hoping my 3500 diesel truck will be able to handle it which I’m guessing it will. From the sounds of it your setup is going to be heavy duty! A hypertherm 900 is a decent sized plasma if I’m correct.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at the m200s but for some reason I thought they had air brakes and I figured they had to be pulled buy a truck of decent size, I think this m116a3 will work perfect and I’m hoping my 3500 diesel truck will be able to handle it which I’m guessing it will. From the sounds of it your setup is going to be heavy duty! A hypertherm 900 is a decent sized plasma if I’m correct.
You made the right decision. An M116A3 is a much better choice for a trailer that will be pulled with a pickup truck.

I've had both. I like the M200A1s but they require an airbrake truck to activate the brakes.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted some space to carry up above. It has a really solid headache rack at the front. I should use aluminum but will probably use gavanized to enclose it. I tried to make a bit of overhang at the back with a rain gutter to have a place to work I have a nice hose reel for the torch and hang my cables (some changes since photo). I use it so much, I havnt wanted to empty it and finish. I like my little Hobart...has lots of copper in the generator and a good high frequency start for stick. But I can't do mig with it.

Edit. Here is my altered tongue to keep the surge brake. On my surge unit, I put a bolt through to pin it solid until I rehook and bleed the brakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robby116a3

I wanted some space to carry up above. It has a really solid headache rack at the front. I should use aluminum but will probably use gavanized to enclose it. I tried to make a bit of overhang at the back with a rain gutter to have a place to work I have a nice hose reel for the torch and hang my cables (some changes since photo). I use it so much, I havnt wanted to empty it and finish. I like my little Hobart...has lots of copper in the generator and a good high frequency start for stick. But I can't do mig with it.

Edit. Here is my altered tongue to keep the surge brake. On my surge unit, I put a bolt through to pin it solid until I rehook and bleed the brakes.
Sounds like you have yourself a sweet setup! Those Hobart Engine drives are really good machines for the money! I just went with Miller because of personal preference from what we use at work. I was looking at your trailer photo and I saw the leveling jacks that it has on the two back corners, I really like that feature. Back to the roof idea, I’m really digging it, keeping the rain and snow (depending where you are) off of all your expensive equipment is really nice. Looks good.

Robby116a3

Trailer coming together nicely going to add second coat of CARC tan paint tomorrow morning and hopefully mount my welder a little later!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks