• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M123 new to my collection

peter34668

I just purchased a 1965 M123, v8 cimmins diesel that at some point had the 5th wheel removed and was converted to a forestry truck. So far all I have done is removed the tank and got rid of the awful firetruck red that faded to pink over time. I thought I might share it here as I have never seen one before.

Attachments

fasttruck

When you get around to greasing it one of the most important fittings on the truck is under the cab on a bellcrank associated with the brake linkage. If this sticks for lack of lubrication the truck either will not build air pressure or the service brakes will drag. Also in the steering knuckles there are bevel gear sets associated with the live kingpin used in the M123. These run in oil and if the oil level is not maintained you will burn up the bevel gears and then junk the truck. Don't make a move without the pubs: -10-, -20, and LO.

peter34668

Nice man, how long did the paint job take.
I just love the size & look of the 123's.
I wish I could own one of those.
I used spray cans and it took all day. I still have to get to the interior paint. It really looks good even with the mickey mouse paint job I did. Rustoleum to the rescue!

Its huge and mean as **** but also a bit impractical. I know thats hard to say from a man who drives his M923 almost daily but this thing gets 3 MPG and is 9' 8" wide meaning I have to get an oversize pass every time it leaves my town. With that said here in NH no insurance is required, no tax and reg is about $25 for an antique plate. So the $6 I have to pay online for the pass each time i leave the town isn't that big a deal.

Yup I did some bragging about the "Live Free or Die state"!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a spray can paint job that truck is beautiful, the front protective bars certainly assist in making the 123 look even meaner and more menacing than before, and I did not think that possible!!! Beautiful HUGE truck I just sold my 123 and seeing pics like this certainly makes me ask questions as to WHY!!
KK

fasttruck

Gas engine is a LeRoi V8 of massive cubes and equally massive appetite for fuel. V8 Cummins is not a hill climber especially with just a 5 speed trans. Once dragged a M60 up a five mile grade on I80 and it took 45 minutes to get up that hill. 42 mph flat out even if driven off a cliff. Army finally applied a Williams exhaust brake at which time it was actually possible to upshift the truck. But is was shorter than the M911 replacement which made it easier to slide into some extremely skinny places with a M747 trailer.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your M123

Really NICE truck! Don't know if I could transition from my Smart car to a M123! Practicality is not a factor with a 10 ton. Everyone should have one! Congrats on the find.:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks