• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M123a1c rarity

BleedDemon

How common are these majestic beasts? Has anyone had a successful up-powered transplant? What would be an acceptable buying price for an unmolested, running truck with average mileage/hours in average cosmetic condition? This info could help me get some ducks in a row before I find the one that's for me. Thanks in advance!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I know where there are two parked now very close to my LZ. They are for sale but not for less than scrap value (the owner is a scrapper). They have been sitting up for a while and will require a lot of work to make them runners. If you are interested PM for contact info.

AMGeneral

Only 4000 total of the M123/M125 series EVER made. In short,not without major modifications to the engine bay. decent shape running and driving units will command $8000 and up. But forget driving it far,45 mph top speed,and they don't make DOT legal tires for it anymore. Surplus tires have been gone in that size since the 80s.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid $2200 for mine last year. I have not fired it up yet, but looks to be OK. Came from Forestry fire duty. The transmission/transfer is a single unit and designed for the engine. Good luck trying to mate a different power plant to it. At this point, these trucks are museum pieces.

BleedDemon

I don't think contact info will be needed. The only way I could get one of those beasts to my house would be to drive it 591 miles (13 hrs @ 45 mph) and that's not possible in a non-runner. It's a shame that so few were made.
I'd like to keep the thing as electronic-free as possible, so installing a DMAX (or Cummins, etc.) wouldn't be the option I'd like it to be.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't say the M123 series, any variant of it, was rare, in the sense that few were made. However, as most of them were made in the 1950s thru the early 1970s, that would make the youngest ones about 40 years old. They are too big for most to own, certainly not a daily driver. Most, when surplussed out, led lives as logging trucks or hauling very heavy things in workplace environments. Most that survived their service life in the military, including those that came back from Vietnam, came out into a world that would kill them through forced labor and abuse. I would say that the M123 series is rare now, only because most of them are gone, rusting away, and many have already fallen to the scrapper's torch.

There are a few who love the big iron, dirt71 and AMGeneral come to mind when I think of M123 owners. If you can save one, be advised, if it's in good shape it would be a shame to NOT save it for future generations to admire. But be warned, the big iron is much cooler to look at than it is to drive or maintain. If you don't have a shop, your own private one or a real working maintenance facility, you should think twice, as the tools you need will be BIG. Also, you should double-check with your wife. Big green iron ALWAYS puts a strain on marriages.

Fcwalker

M123a1c

I wouldn't say the M123 series, any variant of it, was rare, in the sense that few were made. However, as most of them were made in the 1950s thru the early 1970s, that would make the youngest ones about 40 years old. They are too big for most to own, certainly not a daily driver. Most, when surplussed out, led lives as logging trucks or hauling very heavy things in workplace environments. Most that survived their service life in the military, including those that came back from Vietnam, came out into a world that would kill them through forced labor and abuse. I would say that the M123 series is rare now, only because most of them are gone, rusting away, and many have already fallen to the scrapper's torch.

There are a few who love the big iron, dirt71 and AMGeneral come to mind when I think of M123 owners. If you can save one, be advised, if it's in good shape it would be a shame to NOT save it for future generations to admire. But be warned, the big iron is much cooler to look at than it is to drive or maintain. If you don't have a shop, your own private one or a real working maintenance facility, you should think twice, as the tools you need will be BIG. Also, you should double-check with your wife. Big green iron ALWAYS puts a strain on marriages.

I own 2 of these big girls and love them to death use them everyday have turned every bolt on them. Just rebuilt the original motor in one last week