• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M125 Bows

T4bergie

M/Sgt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know the dimensions for the uprights and top bows for the cargo bed on the M125? Bed measures 96" wide by 180" long inside. Will 5 ton bows work like those on the M41 or M54? I am not near any 5 ton trucks to be able to get any measurements or get a bow to try. Will a 5 ton cargo cover also work? Thanks for your help.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wecome to the site. 5 ton beds are 96 wide as well so the top bow and corners should be the same. Most likely the staves also. Let's see some pics of your 10 ton!

T4bergie

M/Sgt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as I learn how to get the pics onto the site. Do you think a 5 ton cargo cover will work as well? I need many other parts as well especially for that big LeRoi. Thank you for your reply.

M813A1

If your cargo body is 14 foot long the 5 ton cover should fit !! If you have too you could get a cargo cover for a M36, M55, M814 or M927 XLWB truck and have it cut down to fit

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
If your cargo body is 14 foot long the 5 ton cover should fit !! If you have too you could get a cargo cover for a M36, M55, M814 or M927 XLWB truck and have it cut down to fit
m36 will not work it's not wide enough. M36 is a 2.5 ton, but the rest will work as said.

Danger Ranger

Wow, you've been here since 2008 and have only a couple posts? Whew. Awesome truck, can't wait for some pics. You should contact dirt71 for any questions and contacts. He sold his trucks but probably has tips and such.

Good luck.:D

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt a 5-ton cover will work, unless you shorten the staves. Even then, you would have to use a canvas cover, since the vinyl has molded corners.

96" INSIDE is way different than 96" OUTSIDE, which is what a normal 5-ton bed is, last I checked. The bed on an M125 covers the rear wheels, and they are overwidth. I would double check anything before you buy a cover.

aarondnelson

Well, this is a little late, but my best advice is to look at the MS51323 drawing for the cargo covers. You can find it at http://www.everyspec.com/MS-Specs/MS5/MS51323C_18926/. As far as I can tell, there are no 'interchangeable' covers, but it tells you exactly how build your own if you are so inclined. Take a look at the MS51324 as well. Your cover (95% sure) MS51323-29 and your end curtains are MS51324-19 (the largest ones listed). Just for reference, the M813 is MS51323-18, the M814 is MS51323-26, the M35 is MS51323-28 and the M36 is MS51323-30. Just as a side note, the M36 is 62" longer than the M35, and the tarp is 24" wider (since the cargo height of the m36 is 12" higher).
These documents are old, but the provide a rock solid listing of how to build yours period correct. I'm not certain the document that controls the newer vinyl style covers.

have fun! Military Specs are a BLAST!

T4bergie

M/Sgt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I will take a look. Have been trying to get the drawing from MVPA HQ, which they say they have, but am having no luck with them finding it. I have been waiting for almost 2 years. The drawing is for the cargo cover top bow, but the info you have given me will help to have a cover and curtains made. Still need top bow dimensions and chord length of wood.

Last edited:

aarondnelson

This might be another crumb: http://www.everyspec.com/MS-Specs/MS5/MS500000A_20846/ Another free spec with some tasty tidbits. Looks like it has some more dimensions (that 63" floor to bow one might be of use) and perhaps some cargo body part numbers. Search for MS51398 on the same page - it is the M121 spec - the basic chassis for both the M125 and the M123. Probably won't help you with your cover, but Cool Stuff nonetheless! I'm sure you have the TM for your truck, and I'm guessing that it has the part numbers for the items you are looking for (bows, staves, elbows...) Message me those numbers (especially if they are MS numbers!), or look for yourself on that every spec. page. Good luck!

p.s. - chech out the ms500094B, too - its the M125A1 document.

p.p.s. - I just keep finding more crumbs, but I don't think they are much closer to your goal, if any. I did a search on the cargo body part number and this NSN website popped up. Just more specs, but that 63" height does show up again! http://www.nsn-now.com/Indexing/ViewDetail.aspx?QString=2320002197340

Last edited:

aarondnelson

I also wanted to mention something that NDT said earlier. He said that the 5-ton (and subsequently the 2.5-ton) have a 96" bed. He is 100% correct, however, to the best of my understanding, that is the outer dimension. The inner dimension is 88ish". I think that you will find the 10-ton has a 96" inner dimension, or 'cargo area' dimension. Clear as mud now?

Something wierd happened. It looks like a post, that I just posted, up and evaporated. The long and the short of it was to check out this site: http://www.everyspec.com/MS-Specs/MS5/MS500000A_20846/. Also look at the MS51398 (m121 - chassis for the M123 and M125), and the MS500094 (M125A1). The MS500000 is the M125.

Last edited:

T4bergie

M/Sgt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct on the bed dimensions, 96"x!80" inside. I did find those specs from your last post and copied them for future reference. Although the specs say 63" to the bottom of the bow the -20 TM says 60". I could make the top bow easily enough it is just trying to get the oak to bend. I don't have access to a steam chest to do that like they do with boats.

Anyway here are some numbers for you. There are no MS numbers only NSN and part numbers.

2510-00-505-6731 540506 Stake, Vehicle Body, Bow Assembly
2540-00-711-0464 7060042 Bow, Vehicular Top: Cargo Body
2540-00-351-0145 7064151 Bow Assembly, Cargo Body

Again, Thanks for your help.

aarondnelson

My strength is Military Specs. If I can figure out the 'master NSN decoder,' then I'll be in business.

I'd really like a 10-ton. Did I mention that? I have never seen one with my own eyes. I have no use for it other than I could do anything I WANTED with it. "Pull that building down!" Done. "Yank that tree out!" Done. "Lets drive 500 miles just so we can listen to it!" done. Tell us a little about yours... do you have another post dedicated to it? I found a 38-ton M6 high speed tractor up in Canada, and my pipe dream's pipe dream was to get a dual winch M123, an M747 , sell all my belongings to pay for diesel, drive up there, pick it up and bring it back to where my belongings used to be.

T4bergie

M/Sgt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have not started a post for this rebuild yet. The M125 is complete, starts,runs well and has good brakes. I am on a parts hunting mission now. Although I have everything on the truck that can be rebuilt I am looking for the goodies like cargo body top bows or dimensions, towing pintle, (it has the pintle block for the howitzer) 5 ton chain hoist, wheel bearing wrenches (see post under tools wanted) etc. I only have outside storage and as soon as I can get her inside I can start the rebuild. Have the knowledge and most of the tools but will need access to a fork lift as the only thing on that truck that you can lift are the wiper blades. I also have a 1957 M123 that was in an accident at some point, no radiator, fuel tanks, dual winches missing, 5th wheel complete, drive line complete. Do not know about restoring it but hated to see it get torched so it's basically an investment for parts right now especially the LeRoi engine which is complete and turns over with a bar. So that is where I am at the moment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks