• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M127A1C/ M197A1 Camper conversion

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
T-111 is a generic term for rough cut 4x8cdx plywood that has dadoo cuts to simulate planks.
In the south and mid-west most T-111 is plantation pine. Here in the NW it's usually doug fir - much better than sapwood pine for longevity. Current code also calls for a minimum ground clearance of 12"-18", to minimize rotting issues, at 61" of ground clearance I think I'm safe.
I plan on mixing 2 gallons of stain with 1 gallon of linseed oil and roll and spray it till it won't absorb any more sealant. Also it will probably have to be touched up yrly.
While not the best solution, it is cost effective. I'm disabled and on fixed income, I can only do what I can afford. 1 day of work costs me 2 days in bed, that's why this project is taking soooooo long. The staining and sealing will have to wait till spring weather, it's noon - 33 degrees and last night's snow is still on the ground.

I've already been admiring your work and craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing it.
Now that you've also shared the challenges you face and the obstacle that you're overcoming to get this done, I'm even more amazed and awed.

Keep up the good work. Take care of yourself. And, we'll keep you and your project in our prayers.

Best regards,
John

GHILL55

Hey, the weather finally broke and the snow should hold for the next 2 days so I got busy on the roof and installed the flashing and the 6" insulated chimney for the wood stove.
I've included pics of the wood stove I just finished restoring, circa 1910. It will have the legs removed and be bolted to the top of the wood box base. (I also just restored an 1885 COMET pot belly stove that came out of an old caboose that was rescued by my grandfather, I rescued it from the fishing shack at his farm - 40 yrs ago! - finally restored to new.)
Tomorrow I'll seal the flashing and hopefully install a good portion of the roof. This week will be the siding, I hope. High of 30 degrees and 70% snow. I truly do love winter - I just wish I could get another week outside before it sets in.
Pics to follow on the finished roof.
Then it's on to the wiring and insulation.................

Attachments

GHILL55

March update: The project has been on hold for the winter due to health problems, but now that spring is almost here in MT. I'll be finishing up the roof and siding before heading inside for the electrical and finish work. will post updated pics by the end of the month. I'm currently in Cincinnati enjoying 75-80 degree sunshine and will head home in a few days and get started on the final phase, plan to have it finished & on the road by may 1st.

Ripcord01

That thing is a great build. I don't know how I missed this one, but great work..Sorry to hear about the health problems. Hope you can get back into it soon.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious, how tall is your trailer?

The reason I ask is because I remember the haulers on here saying they can't haul anything over a certain height. Something like 13-13.5 feet.

I think that is mainly when they are hauling M109s on a trailer, so you are probably still under the limit.

Cool build, look forward to watching your progress.

GHILL55

The bed height is 5', the camper is 7 1/2', the skylights and solar panels add 6'' for a total of 13' +. the minimum bridge height around here is 13'6". (luckily all are by-passable for over height log trucks.)
Still it's a tall beast, but pulls easily - -- so far.

Home from Ohio (sunny, 85 degrees) to Montana (cloudy, snow 30 degrees) - the camper project will have to wait a few days.;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks