M135 M211 2 speed transfer case mod

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried posting a few days back, wouldn't let me. Said add one character. Don't know what was going on.

The wasps are really out this year. They love building their nests in the Deuce and the tractor. Have to keep and eye out.

Merle

DUUANE

Well here we are..a paltry 6 months since the last post on my thread..time sure flies when the bosses expect you to actually work.
So i got the main (upper) rear output bearing off, the new preload adjusting ring on and the bearing reinstalled. I also found a cross for the seal. Its a little narrower than the OE one but all the critical dimensions are the same. There is enough room in the housing that you could put a second single lip seal in after it if so desired but i havnt bothered to search one yet( i will edit when i do find one).
The OE seal is GMC # 2276335 it crossed to Timken #410085 .
Hopefully the stars align and the rain stops long enough that i can get the nose of the deuce off and yank the power pak.
Cheers and happy new year everyone.

Attachments

rustystud

Well here we are..a paltry 6 months since the last post on my thread..time sure flies when the bosses expect you to actually work.
So i got the main (upper) rear output bearing off, the new preload adjusting ring on and the bearing reinstalled. I also found a cross for the seal. Its a little narrower than the OE one but all the critical dimensions are the same. There is enough room in the housing that you could put a second single lip seal in after it if so desired but i havnt bothered to search one yet( i will edit when i do find one).
The OE seal is GMC # 2276335 it crossed to Timken #410085 .
Hopefully the stars align and the rain stops long enough that i can get the nose of the deuce off and yank the power pak.
Cheers and happy new year everyone.
No such luck on the weather ! The forcasters say rain all this week and into the next one.

DUUANE

*Shakes his fist at the sky* ...i know..now theyre forecasting a week of -10 ..just as we get a bc ferry up on the blocks for an afterlife refit..
So tonight i got the output gear/shaft/bearing support back in. If you have to mess with the bearing preload ring like i did you have to install the rear bearing and preload ring in the rear support, tighten the adjustment bolts to holdt the preload ring in place, then slide the shaft in through the rear bearing and seat it. Then you can install the assembly in the case. I hope that wasnt too confusing.
So here are some pics of the gear engagements.
Sliding gear all the way to the left= high range
Middle position= neutral
All the way to the right= low range.
Nice smooth rotation and acceptable backlash in all ranges.
This part of the deal is done.
Next...make a relief in the new PTO cover that works with the new position of the low range gear. Then shift rod modification. I havnt decided if ill modify the existing rods or get new and scratch build. It will depend on the diameter i guess. If its a standard size then ill probably get new and keep the OE ones for those in need of stock parts.

Attachments

rustystud

;-)
*Shakes his fist at the sky* ...i know..now theyre forecasting a week of -10 ..just as we get a bc ferry up on the blocks for an afterlife refit..
So tonight i got the output gear/shaft/bearing support back in. If you have to mess with the bearing preload ring like i did you have to install the rear bearing and preload ring in the rear support, tighten the adjustment bolts to holdt the preload ring in place, then slide the shaft in through the rear bearing and seat it. Then you can install the assembly in the case. I hope that wasnt too confusing.
So here are some pics of the gear engagements.
Sliding gear all the way to the left= high range
Middle position= neutral
All the way to the right= low range.
Nice smooth rotation and acceptable backlash in all ranges.
This part of the deal is done.
Next...make a relief in the new PTO cover that works with the new position of the low range gear. Then shift rod modification. I havnt decided if ill modify the existing rods or get new and scratch build. It will depend on the diameter i guess. If its a standard size then ill probably get new and keep the OE ones for those in need of stock parts.

Looking real good !
Your on the back stretch now ! Don't give up !
Especially as I want that old Hydra-Matic ! ;-)

DUUANE

Haha i know..its supposed to get super (relatively) cold and snow tomorrow..as soon as i can get in there ..im on it. Its next on the dockett..

rustystud

Haha i know..its supposed to get super (relatively) cold and snow tomorrow..as soon as i can get in there ..im on it. Its next on the dockett..
Yeah, where all going to get hit by this new Artic front coming down. That combined with that stupid swirling storm off the coast will make for some interesting weather this up-coming week !
My bet is on 12" of snow here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks