• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 problems

joedirt34

My father and I's m135 has sat for almost 20 years. I finally decided to take things into my own hands and bought batteries for it and did the usual thing you do when an engine has sat for that long. I went to hook up the batteries and... uh-oh it's trying to weld the battery terminal. On top of that I decided to see if I could hand crank the engine and I figured out that its seized as well. So I know what I can do for the poor straight 6, but I have no idea what to do about the arcing. If anyone could give me some ideas that would be great.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wecome to the site. About all it can be is the starter linkage stuck engaged or the starter switch stuck pressed in.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wring 24 volt hazards

Welcome to Steel Soldiers and the pearly sounds of the 50's GMC 302 cu.in. sewing machine.

These 24 volt systems can weld metal if a guy doesn't chase all the wires before hooking that last wire to the ground on the last battery. There is some great info in pt 2 of the 9-8024 technical manual buried right here on SS between Upgrade and Rules. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?106483-More-M135-TM-s

It's a little tough to navigate through the pdf manuals and much harder to take in the hot tub than the paper manuals, but you can still get them online.

I snapped a picture from 9-8024 pg. 292 but it doesn't clearly show the 3 wires that 'typically' hook up to positive side of the passenger battery from the starter and slave plug,,,,, it doesn't clearly show the wire from the negative post on the passenger battery running along the fire-wall, feeding the + positive post of the drivers battery,,,,,,and it doesn't clearly show the drivers battery ground to a point on the frame. Take a good look at the layout of your wires and just be real careful with battery awareness and the explosion factor.

P5160005.jpg

I've looked at about a dozen motors and so far saved 4. They tend to stick the aluminum piston to the metal wall of the cylinder. I always pull the valve cover before turning any engine. We've found push rods popped out of the rockers.....they'll actually run like that.....and the previous owner would have assumed that the motor had a major problem. We re-set the push-rod and 4 years later I'm still running that motor.

Pull the plugs, add oil in the bores and turn by hand every year is the best advice I can give anyone that has an old army truck just laying around. Really hoping you get this one rolling because there's nothing like the smell of an Early Deuce in the morning. Best of luck and let us know what you need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks