• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 brake parts

As most of you know I have been working on a m146 turning it into a camper. It is finally done for the most part just some odds and ends here and there. Anyway. I finally used it last weekend but on the way to the campground the rear brakes "went out." Not matter what speed I was goin as soon as you even touch the brake pedal the trailer brakes on the drivers side squeal and carry on like crazy. My wife was following me in the car and said that every time I hit the brakes black dust was flying out. I turned the brakes off as the trailer was empty for the most part and had no weight to speak of. While I am in there I would like to replace everything that is needed. bearings, seals, springs. Whatever it needs. I would like to have all the parts on hand before I take it apart so can anyone point me in the right direction for finding these parts?? are they the same as the deuce or what?? thanks for any and all info.

armytruck63

My '68 M105 trailer uses the two wheel cylinder per wheel setup like the M211 GMC's from the '50's. I don't know about the M146 trailers, but you can spot the difference visually. If there is a steel brake line leading from the top of the backing plate to a connection on the bottom of the backing plate, then you have the two wheel cylinder per wheel setup.

Whether it is like this, or a standard M35 set up, parts should be readily available.

998Junkie

I would like to have all the parts on hand before I take it apart so can anyone point me in the right direction for finding these parts?? are they the same as the deuce or what?? thanks for any and all info.

I'm happy I can actually contribute here, I also have a M146 and I was getting ready to go to DMV with it and was doing a brake check and walking around, I had applied the trailer brake and went to the back and a few seconds later I heard a popping noise and then air escaping. I traced the sound to the Air chamber.

When I stripped all 100 bolts (a little less that that) off the Air chamber I found that the diaphragm had popped. I went to Franklin Truck parts with the Diaphragm (it's a midland part) and after a phone call they found one and I had it the next day for about 30.00, the part had a shelf tag which had a date of 9/86 so I'm sure they are getting rare but I think you'll be OK.

As for the Bearing and Brake chamber and brake chamber rebuild kits seals wipers, brake pads lock washers I found that Erik at Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus has just about everything that I need for the trailer. I don't have the info here but I'll print out all the emails I have with Erik for the parts but my memory is that the trailer uses a mix of Deuce and 5 ton parts. He has a brake chamber rebuild kit for around 20.00 that fit like a glove. I didn't need bearings or brake pads as I have plenty of life in them for now, but its good to know that most of the parts are available, locally for me.

[FONT=arial,helvetica]www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com

[/FONT]
One thing I'm having the hardest time to find are the screws that are used to attach the wood liner to the aluminum frame, the heads are huge and they have flat points so they won't fray the wiring. Anyone know where to get those?

Depending on my schedule I'll post what I got from Erik this weekend.
:grin:

Last edited:

998Junkie

Here is a list of parts.

brake shoe, p/n 11665741 (NSN 2530001621986)
inner hub seal A1205N664 (7409550)
wiper ring 7409553
593A inner bearing p/o MS19081-182 (includes cone and race)
399A outer bearing (cone, no race)
The wheel cylinder, NSN 2530010802376 , P/N FD-6145, I can't supply. However, this cylinder is listed as having a 2 inch bore diameter and I do have FC8457 kit with 2 inch diameter cups.
Tabbed Lock For Spindle 1229-G-969
Copper Washer For Banjo 5214539

The air chamber diaphragm is Midland N-2417

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If any of the brake parts you need are the same as what on an M103 chassis/M105 trailer, I have extra axles and parts for them, at the moment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks