• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 RV Conversion

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ray got a picture of the heater from the inside? How much space did it take up? As always top notch work.

RAYZER

Down In the back for a few days now, so im moving kind of slow today.
But I did manage to wrap up the water heater plumbing and put together the cover box!
uploadfromtaptalk1363565050675.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363565100894.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363565154629.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363565223639.jpg

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray,

Sorry to hear about your back. Been there, done that! Glad you were able to finish the heater. As always, GREAT JOB!

Dave

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ray, sorry to hear about the back. Is this the instant WH you were talking about? When you say 6 gallon, is that how many gallons a minute it can supply? That's a lot of water. What's the temperature rise of the water at that rate? Very nice.

RAYZER

Hey Ray, sorry to hear about the back. Is this the instant WH you were talking about? When you say 6 gallon, is that how many gallons a minute it can supply? That's a lot of water. What's the temperature rise of the water at that rate? Very nice.
Thanks Ray!
This is not the on demand water heater.
I was waiting for someone to notice that I went with the least exspensive, dumbest system (pilot light, no electronics,6 gal tank, easy to troubleshoot and find parts for), instead of the on demand one I talked about back in this thread (most complicated, most exspensive,
Parts not as common, hard to troubleshoot).
I think, the simpler the better!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ray, I was thinking that was a tank type water heater; I had never heard of one with a pilot light. The one in my RV is electronic and doesn't use a pilot light. How do you light the pilot light, bic or match technology?

RAYZER

Hey Ray, I was thinking that was a tank type water heater; I had never heard of one with a pilot light. The one in my RV is electronic and doesn't use a pilot light. How do you light the pilot light, bic or match technology?
Rubbing two sticks together sometimes works also!:D

RAYZER

Progress update!
For the past couple of weeks I've been working on the propane gas line plumbing.
After I installed the lp water heater, I needed to figure out the best way to hook up the gas feed to it.
At first I was going to just tee off of the rubber gas line that fed the furnace, but after consulting with a propane supplier, and a rv technician (thanks caliber1), I came to the conclusion that I had another system to design and install.
So, It came down to two options, run soft copper, or hard pipe, I decided that hard pipe would be the better choice due to durability and cost.
Since all of the gas line runs underneath and is exsposed to the elements, I used all galvanized 1/2" water pipe and fittings, and cut to lenght and threaded all of the pipe used.everything at this point is just mocked up, next I will take it all apart, make sure all pipe is free of any debris inside,screw it all back together using gas rated Teflon tape, then secure it all with custom made hangers.
After that, I will run 3/8" soft line from the shut off valves to the applianes, notice that I used a couple of tees with a plug in one end, instead of a 90's, so I can exspand the system for additional appliances.
I have and will use 2 - 30 lb lp tanks with a duel feed auto changeover regulator to supply the lp system.
Hot showers coming soon!
uploadfromtaptalk1365389884338.jpguploadfromtaptalk1365389903744.jpguploadfromtaptalk1365389949688.jpguploadfromtaptalk1365389976991.jpguploadfromtaptalk1365390091825.jpg

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why galvy instead of black pipe? I had heard that you weren't supposed to use galv for gas.

RAYZER

Why galvy instead of black pipe? I had heard that you weren't supposed to use galv for gas.
I decided to use galvanized pipe for corrosion resistance since its exsposed underneath. Black pipe is commonly used for lp piping.However, from reserch i have gathered, galvanized pipe is acceptable for this type of application.

agazza2

Excellent work Rayzer. Where will the tanks be mounted? I always look forward to reading the new progress on this build, and keep staring at the inside of my empty trailer and think where to start. Keep up the great work.

RAYZER

Excellent work Rayzer. Where will the tanks be mounted? I always look forward to reading the new progress on this build, and keep staring at the inside of my empty trailer and think where to start. Keep up the great work.
Thankyou sir! The tanks will be mounted on the right side in the generator/battery box, the box is well ventilated and there will be walls that separate the generator, batterys and lp tanks.

Your empty trailer needs a to do list! I started mine by tearing out the water damaged ceiling and sealing the roof. Post up a floor plan if you have one!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks