• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 RV Conversion

RAYZER

Hi Folks! Well I picked up this jewel of a m146 out of Warner Robins about 5 months back,my plans are to have her converted this year ( hopefully ) into a full blown self contained expidition vehicle with extended live in capabuilities.
Planed amenities are: ac, lp heat,lp stove and lp waterheater,full bath,closet,utility area,removable kitchenett unit,1/2 size frige,dinett,convertable couch bed, 5kw generator,12v house batteries,all lighting will be 12v,converter,inverter,fresh water tank,12v water pump,black and grey water holding tanks,waste pump,under slung tool and storage boxes,interior custom woodwork and no expidition rig would be complete without a leather recliner and flat screen! The work is under way and i'll keep the pics posted, any input will be considered and appreciated.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Is that it in your avatar? I thought that was a M109a3.
That is why I was asking you about your windows for my gull wing project.

RAYZER

Heres the bathroom wall that is now in place,i used 2x3 white lumber and star head deck screws with tie down hardware to attach everything. dimensions are 42" x 94".

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold my m146, a month before I bought my xm818. aua

I really wanted to do the same thing to mine, but really needed the cash at the time, and I didn't have a tractor...

Maybe one day I'll get another. Great looking trailer, can't wait to see it finished!

Are you planning a rv fridge that can run off of propane/12v/120v? Also a satellite and wireless hot spot would be awesome. Any solar panels planned to run the low voltage lighting and keep the batteries topped off? Id also add a CB Radio and Scanner to listen to the chatter during rallies. And might as well run wiring for speakers and Ethernet now for in the future.

RAYZER

Are you planning a rv fridge that can run off of propane/12v/120v? Also a satellite and wireless hot spot would be awesome. Any solar panels planned to run the low voltage lighting and keep the batteries topped off? Id also add a CB Radio and Scanner to listen to the chatter during rallies. And might as well run wiring for speakers and Ethernet now for in the future.
Originally i thought a lp frige would be functional for this application but decided on just a standard one for now,have you used a lp frige? how efficient are they? Solar pannels are in the plans toward the end of the project. CB and scanner definetly, as well as a 12v am/fm/cd amplafied unit with speakers mounted in the ceiling. If i can find a cheap satelite system, that would be cool!otherwise it may not be in the budget.:-D

I dont think they use much, i guess it all depends on how often you switch them to lp and if it has a piolit light or uses electronic ignition. I still think it would be better then a 120v only fridge especially when your on the move and dont wanna run the gen and/or dont have access to shore power. Since your running hot water and stove off LP id also look into a LP RV furnance and refridge and just fit the biggest DOT approved LP tank your space allows or get removable ones and keep spares.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks