• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 Trailer Deuce Wheels accept 11:00X20 Tires?

SLOrazorsedge

I just acquired a M146 single axle command trailer in beautiful condition. It has NOS NDT 9:00 X 20 NDT tires mounted on the six lug deuce wheels. I have it hooked up to a M932A2 truck tractor. The trailer mounted to the truck is on a pretty extreme rake front higher than the rear. Can you mount a Goodyear G177 11:00X20 tire on the deuce wheels? I'm looking to increase height on the single rear axle to lessen the rake. Any info is appreciated.

agazza2

Another option that I thought of with my M146 behind a M931A1 was to put 395/20s on Duece bolt together combat rims and just run singles. This combination may also require to put small blocks between the springs and axle mounts. The blocks could be welded to the axle mounts so they do not shift at all. The super singles would match the tire size of a M932 better. The only thing with this setup is if you have a flat, you only have that tire to run on and not a second dual.

SLOrazorsedge

I was wondering about that too. I have MRAP wheels with NOS Michelin XZL 395RX20's that I could use Peashooter's wheel adapters on. I ended up winning 14 NOS 11:00X20 Goodyear tires today. I called a tire store and the guy said they will cost $400 new if your lucky so I jumped in hard as insurance to have an option. I like the idea of singleing out the rear as you describe better if I could make it work. The spare would be the issue unless I can adapt the underbody spare tire carrier for the 3rd MRAP wheel. Maybe I'll be peddling the Goodyears now...Aaron, what do you think? I love the MRAP's on your M105.

peashooter

At least you have options now right! I'm not sure what I would do personally since they both have some advantages. The 11:00x20's dualled up on stock wheels would be nice for the spare issue. I like the look of the dualled 11:00x20 a lot also, but I also like the look of matching truck and trailer wheels.

I guess I can only offer a little insight on those MRAP wheels you have. On my 109 camper conversion, I singled it out and put on the same MRAP wheels you have. In order to get the tire to sit somewhat flat on the ground, I had to drop air pressure down to about 35psi (I assume it would be higher for your trailer). This gives the truck a really nice ride since it adds a bit of "suspension" over what the duals offered. However when we are walking around inside the camper now, the truck isn't as stable so we can feel it moving more when parked due to the "suspension" of the 395 tires. So in a nut shell:when using super singles the trailer won't be as stable when moving about in it, but it will be nicer ride (if that even matters?).
I also dont know much about the m146 hubs, even if you could flip them I dont think you would want to. If you went with the super single MRAPs, you would just want to mount them dish side out which is how they are mounted on the BUFFALO MRAP (see pic below) and I assume how your singles are mounted to your m932A2. The valve stem wont be facing out, but should still very easy to get to. Your MRAPs do have a runflat in them incase you somehow puncture one by chance. Also since there is no gearing issues with a trailer axle, you could always just bring a stock spare or 1100 spare on stock rim with. You can probably buy a deuce spare tire mount/winch and figure out a way to mount it to the trailer frame..... Either way, post some pics of it all when you get it done!

Attachments

SLOrazorsedge

Thanks Aaron for your insightful illumination to my "dilemema" LOL. The M146 gross weight is in the 7K range so they do bounce a bit when pulling down rough roads empty like California's Hwy 99. Hwy 99 has pot holes that will swallow a small cow!

Stability would be important once we load the trailer up as either an RV or portable workshop. Just haven't decided which option yet. This one is completely internally wired intact with both 24V and 110V circuits complete with micro breaker switches on the doors and an abundance of 110/24V overhead lights. It has a 100 amp 110V panel inside and a front bulkhead porthole for pulling in a large cable. I also acquired a converter dolly in the same auction which has 10:00X20 tires. My thinking was to change out the tires on the dolly and trailer to the NOS 11:00X20 Goodyears that way the trailer could be pulled with either the M932A2 or my M923A1. Just more options. Thanks again for your advice, I think it will be keeping the trailer dualled up. I'll post some pics when I can slow down long enough :0)

Dale

SLOrazorsedge

Thanks gringeltaube, I have been looking for the tire height spec sheet that I had stashed to compare tire heights, still haven't found it. If all I get is 1-1/2" of lift on the rear axle, thats still going to be a problem with the rake. Sliding under the fifth wheel is problematic at best. I haven't pulled out from under the trailer yet which is worrisome the kingpin will drop down inside the tailboard frame at the bottom of the ramps....the goal is to level out the trailer and eliminate or significantly reduce the rake.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks gringeltaube, I have been looking for the tire height spec sheet that I had stashed to compare tire heights, still haven't found it. If all I get is 1-1/2" of lift on the rear axle, thats still going to be a problem with the rake. Sliding under the fifth wheel is problematic at best. I haven't pulled out from under the trailer yet which is worrisome the kingpin will drop down inside the tailboard frame at the bottom of the ramps....the goal is to level out the trailer and eliminate or significantly reduce the rake.
Lower the landing gear all the way, if not high enough use some 6"x6" blocks and crib, the rake of the trailer has nothing to with getting under or out from under, the landing gear should raise the king pin high enough to take some of the weight off the fifth wheel or at least get the ramps under the kinkpin plate. If you are worried that the kingpin will catch the rear frame, then you need to block/crib the landing gear to get the nose higher.

The rake of the trailer will come into play if the end of the ramps hit the underside of the trailer as the truck is going under to latch or going over uneven ground, the ONLY TWO fixs for this, are to raise the rear of the trailer or lower the fifth wheel and ramps.

Last edited:

SLOrazorsedge

Thanks brother. The landing gear on this trailer have left and right independent cranks. I'll definitely crib under as they don't give enough height fully extended for the 5 ton to get under and load. Installing taller tires will help some. Still playing with it.

Thanks for your service brother! You were in a couple of years before me during the worst of it.

Dale
US Army 1970-72, Spec 4
MOS - 64C30

6x6guy

I was talking to another M146 owner and what he suggested that the replacement of the rear axle, by adding a section of steel frame and axle with better breaking system that will accept the 10 bolt pattern and 49 inch tires, and would be more in heigth with the truck. And then adding a additional tire carrier to the underneath of the trailer to accomidate both the M931a2 and M146 in the event of multi tire failure.

SLOrazorsedge

That's a great idea if a guy could scrounge another axle from a semi- trailer that had 10 lug Budd wheels and spring brake pots. Mine doesn't have emergency spring brake pots. I'm thinking your buddy is right that the spring perches will need to be cut off and lift sections welded in to gain height. That gives you more options for tire/wheel size. These trailers are pretty cool and worth the time, energy and money to improve on a pretty good design already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks