• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M149A2 S double wall- can it be used for diesel storage?

johndoe007

I am thinking of picking up a great condition M149A2 that I can use for 6 months storage of diesel fuel (with stabilizer) at a remote work site. Any known issues with doing this with these units?

Thanks!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing wrong with it, it is a PITA to clean them out afterwards to use for potable water again.

If I were going to do what you are, I would get a M200 ($150-$300) and put a 400 gallon tank on it, or two 250 gallon home heating oil tanks. M149 trailers usually run $1000 and up.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I agree with Ferro.....Water Buffs are not real rare beasts but I would not ruin one by putting fuel in it.

The M200 genny trailers usually go pretty cheap and you can get used tanks out of Buy/Sell publications or off Craig's list or Fleabay.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

johndoe007

Thanks to all, I think this one previously may have had fuel in it. Any issues with going from one that had Unleaded to Diesel? Again less than 6 months storage time per total empty and refill, and if it does the job we would only use it for that purpose going forward.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Any known issues with doing this with these units?
If you are going to pull it on the road, loaded or empty, you will have to display the correct HAZMAT placards on it. Failure to do so will get you a fine you won't believe if you are involved in an accident (or even if you are just checked by the DOT).

This may require the driver of the prime mover to have a HAZMAT endorsement on their license.

I would check into this with your local office to cover your arse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks