• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 Gun Jeeps

elvis presley

Howdy!

I'm looking for pictures and details of the interior of MUTT gun jeeps built during the Vietnam War.
If you have any engineering details on the gun box, added armor for windshield, underbody protection, radio(s), antenna(s) and gun mount(s), technical drawings, photos, or even names of current owners or builders of replica gun jeeps any information would be greatly appreciated!!

I have quite a few pictures of the outsides, but none of the insides!

The goal is a replica of the gun jeep California Dreamer (or California Dreaming).

Thanks for your help!

nattieleather

From the quick research I just did it was definitely California Dreamer. But I think you're going to be hard pressed to find any tech info on this or the other couple of 151 gun trucks. The reason is there was no official build for them. These jeeps were unit built from what they had on hand or what they could scrounge, trade or steal. The plate was probably 1/4 inch steel that was used in engineering units for like roads etc. The radios were probably just RT 528s or the PRC-77 with the mobile mount, (I forget the numbering) and the weapons used seem to be 30 cal BMG, possible the M2 50 BMG and the M60 MG. The pictures of California Dreamer shows what looks like 2, 30 cal BMGs. But I'm just guessing. Weapons mounts would be again what ever they could get their hands on that would work. This is home brew at its best. This website is for model builders, but you might be able to gleam something from it and upscale to full size. https://www.scalemates.com/cs/kits/echelon-fine-details-d356281-m151-gun-trucks--1281978 Good luck and if you do make this project please keep us informed with lots of pictures.

Linehaul

Howdy!

I'm looking for pictures and details of the interior of MUTT gun jeeps built during the Vietnam War.
If you have any engineering details on the gun box, added armor for windshield, underbody protection, radio(s), antenna(s) and gun mount(s), technical drawings, photos, or even names of current owners or builders of replica gun jeeps any information would be greatly appreciated!!

I have quite a few pictures of the outsides, but none of the insides!

The goal is a replica of the gun jeep California Dreamer (or California Dreaming).

Thanks for your help!
The armored gun jeep California Dreamer was with the 512th Transportation Company, 54th Battalion (later with the 124th Bn), 8th Group. It was based at Camp Addison, along Route 19, in the Cha Rang Valley. It ran with truck convoys north on Route 1 to Bong Son, west on Route 19 to An Khe and Pleiku, and south on Route 1 to Song Cau. At one time it was armed with two M73 machineguns (not M1919s). Another time California Dreamer was armed with two M60s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks