• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 Mine detection vehicle.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 99, sfor, Bosnia, we were repairing skid steers with chain flails on them that were radio controlled. Pretty neat deal, drove just like an rc toy.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go To go ? Who would drive a Mutt designed to find mines ? Sounds like a suicide mission. That is what Tanks are for.
By READING the information on the placard in the first set of pictures you might have known that this was a REMOTELY CONTROLLED (and therefore UNmanned) vehicle.

Jus' sayin'.
We all sometimes speak without first reading all the content.... I too am guilty of that at times.

acudanut

By READING the information on the placard in the first set of pictures you might have known that this was a REMOTELY CONTROLLED (and therefore UNmanned) vehicle.

Jus' sayin'.
We all sometimes speak without first reading all the content.... I too am guilty of that at times.
Ok Guilty. !! I don't know how a remote controlled Mutt can shift into 1st or any other gears ! LOL
Please explain this !!.

rickf

In the written description of the vehicle it tells you that if a mine is found it automatically declutches and brakes the vehicle so a technician can then disarm the mine. It is a DETECTOR, not a clearing unit like a flail that sets them off. The vehicle is most likely put in first gear before starting the operation and the clutch and brakes are operated by servos. Pretty easy operation really.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the written description of the vehicle it tells you that if a mine is found it automatically declutches and brakes the vehicle so a technician can then disarm the mine. It is a DETECTOR, not a clearing unit like a flail that sets them off. The vehicle is most likely put in first gear before starting the operation and the clutch and brakes are operated by servos. Pretty easy operation really.
Thanks, Rick.

I have a growing interest in autonomous vehicles. Before long we may all be just packages in Artificially Intelligent (AI) Vehicles that pick up and deliver us on demand.
Can you say: JETSONS ?!?!?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By virtue of my service with our City's Economic Development Corporation and its Transportation Committee, I attend quite a few State and Federal Transportation meetings, seminars, and symposiums. The "visionary" workshop sessions might seem like science fiction to a lot of folks, but many state DOT's are now building data bases of EVERY painted line that is applied to their highways. The GPS location and track of these lines will eventually be ONE of the many navigational features that these autonomous vehicles will be using to navigate and maneuver on our existing highways and byways. Test vehicles are already out there. Additionally, the autonomous vehicles will be helping to "build" the database by sending feedback via an up-link to note potholes, pavement failures/shifting/bumpiness/etc. and even current weather related road conditions.

Each independent vehicle will also communicate with others in its immediate proximity, knowing their routing and destinations as well as their own "mission". This will in turn be used to form "convoys" or "trains" of vehicles traveling a common route. As they do, the separation between vehicles will be minimized to just a fraction of what's necessary for human reaction times. When the lead vehicle senses a need to swerve or brake, all the vehicles will instantaneously "know" and also respond. When one of these "strings" nears a point where one or more vehicles needs to exit the highway, the string will separate, the departing vehicles will drop out, and then the string will again "close ranks" and not miss a beat.

Some engineers envision a time when windshields for occupants to see forward will no longer be built into the vehicles. The people will be safer without that big piece of glass out front.

TEST VEHICLES are already on our roadways!!! This is not a fantasy.

It's kinda neat to see that this Mine Detecting Mutt was an early specimen of man's engineering applications.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks