• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 Steering Gear Problem

dabtl

Has anyone rebuilt a M151 steering gear? Where does one find the internal parts?

Are the A1 and A2 steering gears interchangeable?

Does anyone have a nos they will sell?

ida34

M151 and M151A1 are the same but A2 is different. To change to A2 you need to change the column also. Can't help with rebuilding.

dabtl

Thanks. David has a real mutt. It is wired with an A2 loom and has an A2 engine. I will have to figure out which steering gear it has to know what to buy.

dabtl

M151 and M151A1 are the same but A2 is different. To change to A2 you need to change the column also. Can't help with rebuilding.
As a thought, does the install of the A2 gear box and column into an A1 require more than the two assemblies you mention?

I find A2 gear boxes plentiful along with the steering columns. If they interchange easily, perhaps that is the way to cure the problem?

ida34

That sounds like a good deal. I have a bad one that I took off my body I am restoring. I am planning on using the good gear out of my donor vehicle. To answer your other question, I think you need to change the steering wheel also but I an not sure. Everything else is bolt on.

dabtl

David informed me this afternoon that the steering wheel had to be changed also.

But, thanks for the help. Any information here gets used at some point.

cstaup

You can put A2 steering gearbox and column on an A1 no problem. Acctually this is a suggested "mod" as it is easier to service the gear. I think the pittman gear will interchange but not the column gear.

I rebuilt mine, the -34 has it all. I got the seals at a local Bearing Distributors.

Keith_J

Very relevant to my interests...I am working on fixing an A2 with about 20 degrees of steering wheel backlash. The tie rod ends are tight with no play. I feel all the backlash is in the recirculating ball gear box and can feel the ball plates crash in the case. It appears to have the same adjusting mechanism (lock nut and slotted stud) as any other manual gearbox I have worked on...downloading the -20 just to do it right. And also get the alignment specs to do the job perfect. Steering is critical in these vehicles.

Got it adjusted. Snap, all it takes is an offset standard screwdriver and a 3/4" box end. Jack the front end up so rubber is off the ground. Remove port wheel, then loosen the nut. Screw the slotted stud in until tangential force needed to turn the steering wheel is 1 to 1-1/2 pound. Use recording fish scale. Hold slotted stud and tighten nut.

Last edited:

Gunner1953

I'm in Denton and have a 62 m151. Have been restoring for two years. Finally running but backfires and bogs when shifting from 2 to 3rd. Coil good, fuel pump good, timing good, carb rebuilt. Any words of wisdom?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks