• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A2 Army Radio Jeep Unit Markings

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M151A2 Vietnam Army Unit Markings Reference

Hi y'all!

I'm in the process of preparing my MUTT for a fresh coat of paint. I'd like to paint unit markings on it to represent an Army unit in Vietnam. I've scoured all the images on Google and Yahoo and found very few MUTTs to act as a reference because they don't offer frontal view, side view, and rear view of the same MUTT to depict. I have no preference which unit I represent - my goal is to have an accurate historical representation of a MUTT used in theater. I'm looking for pictures of the front, side, and rear so I can duplicate the unit markings and registration numbers. Any information or pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks!
:)

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I don't believe there were any paticular markings designating a radio Jeep. All the Army branches (Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Armor, Transportation, etc), had radio Jeeps. Most Jeeps had radio mounts installed and the radios (524's) could be moved from vehicle to vehicle, but no special markings to indicate the vehicle had a radio. If you needed a radio, you looked for a vehicle with a mounted antenna.

nattieleather

http://victoralvarez.jalbum.net/Vietnam%20Photos%20Album%20two/slides/545th%20MP%20Jeep%20-%20X-17%20Unk%20Passenger.html

That is a pic I found doing a search on Yahoo for vietnam jeep 1st Cav 545 MP Company. A quick web search shows that the 545th served in Vietnam and is still active today serving in the ongoing conflicts.

Steelandcanvas is correct there were no special markings for radio jeeps. Now unless you were making a jeep with a couple of radio sets in it like a command and control vehicle then it would be most likely assigned to a HQs unit at like Battalion or higher and not the company level like the one I've posted.

Or unless you are making a FAC jeep in which case the markings would be for a USAF unit.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Steelandcanvas – thank you! I revised my thread using the information you posted.

Nattalieleather – nice pictures! I'm going to check more into that unit – looks like a great web site that you referred me to. I can't make out the vehicle registration number though.

I have two more questions:
- If I'm unable to locate pictures of a jeep displaying the registration numbers, how can I come up with a number that is historically equivalent without looking like it's made up?
- I'm thinking about representing the Army 13th Signal Battalion. What would I paint on the bumper to represent this unit?

Thank you!

M813A1

most of the equipment back then had the registration numbers on the side of the hood and on the lower back ot the tailgate and the unit numbers were on the front bumper and rear bumperette. All the numbers would have been in white .

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the attachments. I got in touch with a good friend of mine who served two tours in Vietnam. He dug up some pictures of his M37. I'm planning on duplicating the unit markings on my MUTT.

Attachments

Last edited:

nattieleather

If you want the 13th Singal Battalion the Markings would be looking at the vehicle front reading left to right (passinger side to drivers side) 1CAV 13S HQ-1 or 1CAV 13S A-10. You would need to decide if you wanted it to be Battalion HQ or HHQ (Head Quarters Head Quarters Company or one of the Companies (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta) and the vehicle number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks