• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M16 Halftrack joins the family

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I finally scored a halftrack. It's an M16 per the data plate and double thick frame. She's rough, rusty and missing a bunch of stuff but her bones are solid. Winch is there including the drive shaft and PTO. Once I cut all the piping and crap off, she'll look more like a halftrack.

Attachments

8683jb

Congratulations bigmike! After I got mine a couple of years ago, I can advise you to stock up on lots of WD-40, merthiolate and bandages! That ought to be a fun project. It’s rewarding to resurrect something like that and return it to its former glory. Best of luck with it and keep us posted.
Jon

speedfellon

Nice find Mike. That will keep you busy. did you find it close by? I bet it has the same engine as my 47 White School Bus that I will pulling apart soon. Hope to see you in Lodi.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found it in La Handa, near Half Moon Bay. I'm not sure if your school bus engine is the same but I'll be either needing an engine or at least a head...they lost it...

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find Mike. That will keep you busy. did you find it close by? I bet it has the same engine as my 47 White School Bus that I will pulling apart soon. Hope to see you in Lodi.
I found it in La Handa, near Half Moon Bay. I'm not sure if your school bus engine is the same but i'll either be needing an engine or at least a head since they lost it years ago.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of potential there. No telling what kinds of now banned pesticides and herbicides that thing sprayed. I never use respiratory protection when using a cutting torch, but I would if cutting on that.

I don't recall the M16 having a double frame?

Engine is White 160AX. Take a look at the bores and let us know if you need a head or ? Might know where a head is.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of potential there. No telling what kinds of now banned pesticides and herbicides that thing sprayed. I never use respiratory protection when using a cutting torch, but I would if cutting on that.
I'll get pics etc of the engine once she's home. If I can salvage the engine, that'll be huge! Thanks NDT

Engine is White 160AX. Take a look at the bores and let us know if you need a head or ? Might know where a head is.
I'll get pics etc of the engine once she's home. If I can salvage the engine, that'll be huge! Thanks NDT

68t

Looks great, I started out with what was left of halftracks. but it took a lot of work to do a resto and fun too. Your a halftrackman now.

Attachments

Wayofftrack

M16's all used the same frame as the M3 so they are all double framed. The double channel starts just behind the rear front spring hanger and runs till about a foot shy of the rear crossmember that has the hole for the pintle hitch.

Nice find saw your post on FB. Looking forward to watching this thread. Congrats!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I remember you were looking for one last April at Petaluma. Glad ya found one! By the way, are you going to be at Tower Park next month? I'll be at 161.

1943ht

Mike, congrats on your new track. Your in for quite the ride now .. they get under your skin, and as my good freind Wendell (68t) points out, you sir are a "Halftrackman"!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I remember you were looking for one last April at Petaluma. Glad ya found one! By the way, are you going to be at Tower Park next month? I'll be at 161.
I thought I was going to have to work that weekend so I didn’t get a site. Now I don’t have to work so I’m figuring out how to make it there. Call me when you have time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks