• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M170 advice

rmvivas

There's a fairly decent m170 for sale so close to me that it must be a sign from the gods.

How much of the m38A1 stuff I see on the market will interchange with the m170?

i don't think I'd be looking to restore it to full military dress. I think I would just want to bring it close to what it used to look like.

Last edited:

armytruck63

Engine and transmission are identical. Wiring harness is slightly different from the firewall back. Gas tank is unique and hard to find on the M170. Springs are softer on the M170. Turning radius is much bigger. Some of the litter hardware is hard to find if missing.

My dad has an M170 that I love.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How much of the m38 stuff I see on the market will interchange with the m170?
Do you mean how much of the M38A1 stuff you see on the market, or M38? If it's M38, not a lot.

Engine and transmission are identical. Wiring harness is slightly different from the firewall back. Gas tank is unique and hard to find on the M170. Springs are softer on the M170. Turning radius is much bigger. Some of the litter hardware is hard to find if missing.

My dad has an M170 that I love.
M38 uses an L-head engine, M38A1/M170 uses the F-head. 2 different engines.

rmvivas

Please excuse me; I'm just home from work and exhausted and thus not as clear headed as I might otherwise be.

I'm wondering how much M38A1 stuff will interchange.

im not really looking to do a full restoration; just get into presentable shape and tool around in it during the warmer weather.

i love my M37 but every time I need parts for it I am struck by the cornucopia of jeep parts, original and repro, when compared the the M37.

i was hoping that the M170 would have enough commonality of parts with the M38A1 to make playing with it feasible.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Please excuse me; I'm just home from work and exhausted and thus not as clear headed as I might otherwise be.

I'm wondering how much M38A1 stuff will interchange.

im not really looking to do a full restoration; just get into presentable shape and tool around in it during the warmer weather.

i love my M37 but every time I need parts for it I am struck by the cornucopia of jeep parts, original and repro, when compared the the M37.

i was hoping that the M170 would have enough commonality of parts with the M38A1 to make playing with it feasible.
Mind you, I am not an M170 expert, so keep in mind the cost and value of free advice.

Most everything forward of the firewall is the same. I thought the suspension and brakes were the same, but according to a poster above, the springs are different. Everything in the rear is different: bows, top, spare tire carrier, etc. Exhaust, etc.

The stuff you need to keep it running will interchange but the ambulance specific stuff is uncommon.