• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M172A1 wood deck restoration...?

L999here

Just 'recovered' a great M172a1 25-ton low boy and hauled it 900 mi. from Blackstone,VA behind a '94 Freightliner. Paid local towing (Butch's Towing ) to grease,oil,check out,re-do lights to 12-volt and get everything working... including air and check all tires for a week before moving. Only question I have is which would be the best (OK...OK...cheapest) way to restore the oak wood deck...? Have heard that linseed oil and minerial spirits (1-part oil to 2-parts mineral spirit) would make the wood less likely to crack or split under a load. Any info...? Checked 20-pages of the 'trailer' heading....nothing on wood except to replace it. This deck is 2 1/4 oak and is not rotted and is complete. Appreciate any info or formula's for this job. Email answer is appreciated...but will try to visit site more often....

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Of course the prescribed and probably best method is to use commercial sealers/protectors and everyone has their favorite ones to use so I won't mention any.:deadhorse:

I think the question was what will work....economically?:arrow:

I have one 50ton lowboy(RGN) and two 48' Landoll type trainers. I have the drivers take a 5 gallon pail of diesel and a good mop and just soak the decking about every two months in the spring/summer and maybe once after that.

This has worked well for us for 14 years now and DOES work.
Downside...it does smell for a few days and usually takes a good 24hrs until it's not kinda "slick" to walk on.

Your mileage may vary :beer:

Last edited:

L999here

...I should'a known...LOL....

OK...OK....but I JUST got it here last night and had to park at buddy's place. Besides...my digital camera is in the hands of my grandson. Anyway....Papa's idea of diesel is good...but at $3+ a gal ....? Rained really hard couple hours (tornado warnings and all in N. IN) ago and will probably have to wait until deck is dry to do anything. Diesel might be the way to go...going shopping for linseed oil and mineral spirits at the local LOWE'S and check on prices. AND...I'll try to get some pics up....

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Actually we have a little stash of old diesel we wont use in the power units...we don't use the 3 bucks a gallon stuff:roll:

Betcha if you ask around some you can get some old or contaminated stuff to use.fat lady sings

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does the deck look a couple of days after the diesel treatment, does the wood do any swelling? I am asking because I am about to acquire a M127A2c and it's deck is complete but very dry!

L999here

...none here either...

Have done two applications of diesel to the wood deck...smelly and slippery for a couple of days...but no swelling. My tracked vehicle (see avatar) has been loaded/unloaded several times and has not damaged the treated wood at all. If it works,don't change anything...LOL.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Keeps water from penetrating the deck wood fairly well...doesn't it?
My ex-business partner told me about the diesel...learned alot from him.

Besides...I don't think you can buy Thompsons (or other) water seal that cheap.
Yes it does smell for awhile but heck...I like the smell of diesel.:drool::beer:

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does the UMO color the deck wood? I was thinking about adding some new oil to control darkening the wood too much? I put a deposit on the trailer below a M127A2C, it looks a little different form the ones down at Hooks Tx. It has a removable wind screen and has four very large D rings sunk into both edges of the wood deck.

Attachments

Was that the trailer that was on Ebay? I considered it if it was but I rather find
one closer to me, and I like the M871 more.. I have heard that diesel or even used diesel oil works very well, but I haven't tried it myself.

How does the UMO color the deck wood? I was thinking about adding some new oil to control darkening the wood too much? I put a deposit on the trailer below a M127A2C, it looks a little different form the ones down at Hooks Tx. It has a removable wind screen and has four very large D rings sunk into both edges of the wood deck.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the one from Ebay, but he cut the price in half, and he is only an hour or so drive from my cabin! Worked our real well. He thinks the windshield rotted out from sitting flat on the wood deck for a few years? Easy fix anyway.

Autocar

Can you post photos of the D ring attachment. Does it appear to be factory or an add-on? Am planning on adding D rings to a similar trailer(an M871) and would like to see how it was done. Thanks.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be a week or so before I get back over there for photos, but they are definitely factory, I saw a similar trailer sell today at Hooks and you could see one of the D rings sticking up on the trailer bed.
James

Glad to hear that the trailer deal worked out good for you! Where I am at it seems these trailers are pretty scarce. I am actually talking to a fellow SS member
about an M871 trailer and its over 500 miles from me!

It is the one from Ebay, but he cut the price in half, and he is only an hour or so drive from my cabin! Worked our real well. He thinks the windshield rotted out from sitting flat on the wood deck for a few years? Easy fix anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks