• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M185 Brakes TM and best current parts source?

maxpanic

Apologies for asking these questions that must be answered on this site. I just can't find what I need.

1. Which TM shows the proper maintenance and adjustment for the different brake system for an M185A3 1969? I tried to look at the normal M35A2 or M109A3 and the brakes and adjustments seem a bit different to me.

2. So I checked Boyce for new brake shoes and it looks like they want $48.00 for a pair of brake shoes if I turn in the shoes I have currently. That feels awful pricey. Maybe I am just poor but 288.00 to replace all the brake shoes on a deuce seems excessive to me. Any better prices out there anyone knows of? I checked a few other sites and didn't find anything better.

I am really not happy with the poor braking performance of the truck at this point and I need to go through the whole thing so I am really hoping to locate the TM for the M185.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jasonjc

You only 6 sets of brakes shoes so $288. There is no "M185A3" TM. The M185A3 is the same as a M109A3. So you need the same TM's as the M35a2 or M109A3.

The brake adjustment is the same as the M35A2 or M109A3.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it looks like they want $48.00 for a pair of brake shoes if I turn in the shoes I have currently. That feels awful pricey.
You found a good supplier. Well...a set of brake shoes for a 2002-2004 F-150 is 50 bucks. They seem small beside a deuce brake shoe. "Pricey" is relative, I would say. You have a truck with 6 brake drums, so... :)

You can save a bit of coin by rebuilding the wheel cylinders (kits available) and also rebuilding the master (kit available) and the airpack (kit available, depending on which type airpack you have).

Last edited:

peashooter

Apologies for asking these questions that must be answered on this site. I just can't find what I need.

1. Which TM shows the proper maintenance and adjustment for the different brake system for an M185A3 1969? I tried to look at the normal M35A2 or M109A3 and the brakes and adjustments seem a bit different to me.

2. So I checked Boyce for new brake shoes and it looks like they want $48.00 for a pair of brake shoes if I turn in the shoes I have currently. That feels awful pricey. Maybe I am just poor but 288.00 to replace all the brake shoes on a deuce seems excessive to me. Any better prices out there anyone knows of? I checked a few other sites and didn't find anything better.

I am really not happy with the poor braking performance of the truck at this point and I need to go through the whole thing so I am really hoping to locate the TM for the M185.

Thanks in advance.
I got brake shoes from Boyce a while back and they didn't even want my cores, they said they had so many. So if that is keeping you from getting them then call and ask them first. And yes the brakes are the same for all those trucks. The 87-89 trucks have a different brake system, and the 93& up trucks (m35a3) have a different system yet.

maxpanic

Thanks for the feedback. I originally posted the wrong amount. I wasn't thinking clearly on it. Thanks for straightening me out there. I will just live with the 288.

The main issue still is that the m185 has a different pedal adjustment and two sets of brake masters. I haven't examined it closely enough yet but I think its one master for each side of the truck. Anyone have an m185 that can confirm? I think the hub and wheel cylinders are the same for the m35, m109 and m185 though.

peashooter

If it's a 1969 it should only have a single master cylinder unless someone retrofitted it. Take a peek under the master cylinder inspection door on the floor in front of your drivers seat.

rustystud

Thanks for the feedback. I originally posted the wrong amount. I wasn't thinking clearly on it. Thanks for straightening me out there. I will just live with the 288.

The main issue still is that the m185 has a different pedal adjustment and two sets of brake masters. I haven't examined it closely enough yet but I think its one master for each side of the truck. Anyone have an m185 that can confirm? I think the hub and wheel cylinders are the same for the m35, m109 and m185 though.
Your confusing the "air-pacs" for master cylinders. You will only have "one" master cylinder in any vehicle . That one master cylinder then "feeds" the air-pacs, which depending if you have a single or dual system will be either one or two air-pacs.

maxpanic

Yes, you're correct rustystud. I have one master cylinder and 2 air packs. I am thinking that means it is a dual system after the master cylinder?

I ordered rebuild kits for the air packs and have walked through the rebuild procedure. That was an interesting process.

One thing that seems different on this M185A3 is that the lid to the master cylinder is plastic and easily unscrews by hand. It doesn't have that piece of pipe going into the top of it and doesn't need to be unthreaded with a wrench.

So the question is, what is the best way of putting a pressurizing tank on it to bleed the air packs and brakes?

It has the golden/yellow brake fluid, I have the purple dot 5. I believe I need to bleed all the yellow fluid out and replace it all with purple. Does that sound right or can I mix the dot 5 fluids?

maxpanic

QUOTE=theeDIZ;1785039]If what's in there Isnt dot 5 you don't want to mix them. And two air tanks or two booster packs ?[/QUOTE]
I have two air tanks and two air booster packs.

I believe the yellow is also dot 5, just not sure if I can mix dot 5 of one type with dot 5 of another type
IMG_0583.jpgIMG_0578.jpg

Last edited:

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any pics ? If it's a stock master cylinder with an aftermarket cap I would suggest finding a stock cap so you can screw a fitting into for a pressure bleeder.

peashooter

The purple dot 5 looses its color and turns yellow after a while. You can test it with water some how (do a search I can't recall how). It's a little tougher to pressure bleed these master cylinders, check to see if the vent line from the master cylinder goes up to the steering column area on the firewall other wise it will be tied in to the vent lines for the air packs which would be difficult to pressure bleed.

FLYWHEEL

Hi all, I don't want to hijack this thread but I am looking to buy a set of brake shoes for my M35, and I noticed that on a certain aution site that there are shoes listed under two different part numbers. #12301170 and #75321767. My question is are they the same item just under a different part number or is there a differenice ?

maxpanic

The purple dot 5 looses its color and turns yellow after a while. You can test it with water some how (do a search I can't recall how). It's a little tougher to pressure bleed these master cylinders, check to see if the vent line from the master cylinder goes up to the steering column area on the firewall other wise it will be tied in to the vent lines for the air packs which would be difficult to pressure bleed.
It sounds like it might be easier to just have the truck running, let the air packs assist and have someone pump the breaks while I open and close the bleed valves, is that an acceptable approach or will I break the brakes?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks