• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M185 Shop Van for amateur radio "Parks on the Air"

Redleg130

I think its a M185 anyway, according to the dataplate on the shelter. Wikipedia says an M185 is a machine shop, but this one was likely a Wyoming NG ops van based on things I found in it (a commercial phone number directory page). M109 seems to be the more common version, not sure how to correctly categorize my truck.

I ended up interested in this type of truck as I have been doing amateur radio "Parks on the Air" in an M37 (in rebuild), and I got that since I was shopping for some sort of quad bike or SxS and decided if I was going to spend that kind of money, I would get something more interesting than a quad bike or SxS.

I worked for a time, in the 90s, on an M109 shop van (probably, didn't pay attention at the time) so I am at least somewhat familiar with this truck. I wasn't the assigned driver, just a soldering iron operator for that time. In any case, the M185 shelter will be ample room for radio equipment and it should see many local parks as I take it out camping. It is ridiculously oversized for this purpose, but I think it will be a blast.

truck front.jpg
Truck ds.jpg
truck ps.jpg
Van door.jpg
Automotively, it appears solid, retains oil and runs normal temps. Took it for a 12 hour drive home (simultaneously fun and miserable). Even after this long run, the engine oil is still clean looking which I think is a good sign. Hubs stayed warm, but I could touch them so they appear to be fine. Some minor cosmetic things, but nothing insurmountable. The windows have wood slats holding them together and this is rotted (why one is out on passenger side), but looks like this is straightforward to fix.

Dataplate.jpg

Dataplate leading me to call this an M185, I could be misidentifying it though.

Van.jpg
Van back.jpg

The inside is in great shape and even has a nice set of drawers and hinged plexiglass on the benchtops for maps. AC lights work, after a couple light bulb changes, and hunting down a red bulb for the blackout light. Amusingly, some soldier/airman wedged the blackout light switch open with a nail so white light would stay on even with the door open, but taking that out made the blackout lights function as they should.

Map.jpg

This (commercial) map and a small phone number list (of commercial numbers) leads me to believe it was Wyoming national guard and that it was an operations section truck. Each item I find ill leave in place to retain its original state to the extent possible, but I did put local maps over this one.

Poster.jpg

Amusingly, I remember this poster, interesting to find it again

HH.jpg

This part (the silver part with lines connected), which I think is the "hydraulic head" of the injector pump, is slowly dribbling fuel (drip every few minutes). A local ag mechanic shop thinks they can tackle this fortunately. Diesel isn't particularly volatile, but ill leave it parked until this is fixed. It appears this happens from time to time with rubber seals. Fortunately, it made it some before it decided to leak.

Goal for this truck will be to approximate a military operations center to a reasonable extent, but with commercial amateur radio. If I can find a teletype, that would be a neat addition one of these days, I (weirdly) love the sound of those. With the M37, setup took quite awhile with antennas, batteries, and radio; lugging all that into a tent. With this, I can just leave things setup (in particular the heavy batteries) and just drive somewhere and be operating as soon as I get an antenna strung up. Should be alot of fun.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just FYI - the only difference between an M109 and an M185 is the electrical system installed in the box. The M185 had a bit more, it was classified as an "electronics workshop", whereas the M109 was a "mechanical workshop". You can usually tell them apart externally (if in stock condition) by the electrical inlet plugs - the M109 has one on the upper right front corner of the box, the M185 has two.
I own both types, my M185 has more ceiling lights and electrical outlets than the M109, and remote start/shutoff buttons for a generator.

Cheers

Redleg130

remote start/shutoff buttons for a generator.

Cheers
Thank you for explaining the difference, there isn't much searching for M185 specific to it.

Remote start, is this in the dash? There is a circuit breaker and trip switch on the dash that does not appear to do anything, and isn't on a regular M35A2

Guyfang

Staff member
Remote start, is this in the dash? There is a circuit breaker and trip switch on the dash that does not appear to do anything, and isn't on a regular M35A2

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen two former military pieces of hardware at Hamvention in Dayton being used as mobile Ham shacks.

The first, at the old Hara Arena location where the operator had put an S-250 on the back of a pickup and the other at the new location where someone had built up an M110X trailer.

I can't wait to see yours as you build it.

KD8WFD

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I miss the good ol' days where S250s were $300 and could be found everywhere.
I remember grumbling at being asked to pay $300 (I paid up, though) for an S250 since the previous one I bought at auction from Ft Hood was $160. :rolleyes:
Good old Gov Liquidation days.
(I probably shouldn't mention that I paid $752, including all fees, for my good condition M185A3 off Ft Sam, and drove it home)

Looking forward to seeing Redleg's progress on this project.

Cheers

Redleg130

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep that was silly of me:
Dash.JPG
Circled in red, looks like an add on by a unit rather than something from the factory. It appears to do nothing. The blue light is also inoperative and Im inclined to remove it but its bolted on so ill need a cap or something for the holes left behind. Ill trace these out and see if they go anywhere at some point when its not so hot outside.

Panel.JPG
Looks like all the generator items were removed, there is a shadow where it used to be vs the photo posted by M813rc. No big deal since the shore power 110 connection works and powers the smaller breakers and lights just fine with a Honda EU2100 (this little generator is quiet and reliable so far) and this is all I need really. The larger breaker switch below the smaller breakers have no apparent effect when flipped. Ill trace these out too soon.

M35.jpg
TechnoWeenie, did an OE254 mast, with a hook on the top and guy line to use as a pulley to erect a dipole. Did this at one of my units with the Harris HF sets and OE254 (minus the biconical elements part) holding up the RF1944 antennas they can use. This will work great I think. ill need to guy it at the top but it was easy to put up with all the places to lash the mast down on the side of the shelter as I did here.

I just looked up the RF1944 antennas, 300 bucks on surplus market ( American Milspec, LLC - Harris RF-1944 Broadband HF Antenna kit (american-milspec.com) ). Tempting but I probably should cool it with the checkbook for a bit. For awhile ill just stick with the dipoles I have.

IMG_0011.jpg
Here is the M37 doing a Parks on the Air with DX Commander antenna in the background. I prefer camping in the winter. The M37 has some space, but not really enough to set everything up for a winter event. Having to lug all that stuff in the tent was doable, but a pain.

HDN

That's a great-looking M37!

Regarding the mystery switch on the deuce - I wonder if it's some kind of transfer switch for the alternator. These trucks could have alternators with outputs greater than 60 A, but I have no idea what the utility would be for that besides radios and maybe some power tools plugged into the slave port.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks