• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M2 HST Cletrac - the two that followed me home...

waayfast

WOW! Thanks for posting the pic Catman! Must say that is a first for me!!Never seen or heard mention of a trailer built by the Company but one never knows! First guess would be field mod--but---why?
Second thought is---:wink:

Attachments

Just when you thought you had it all someone posts another photo. Now you need the Cletrac TRAILER to go behind the tractor.

This was taken on the ALCAN highway at the end of or just after WWII. Its the only image I have ever seen of a trailer? Theater made or factory?

Cat Man
(Love those tracks)
They are a factory piece - must have been super low production - check out this picture from the last page of that PDF I put up - tandem operation!

That's a great picture Cat Man - never seen a color shot like that - the used all the cletrac running gear but not sure if there was two tensioners or just a dead spindle at the aft end - big cargo box and low ground pressure...

The trailers were tested - and obviously at least a few made it out into service...

Matt

Attachments

waayfast

Too bad the tracks for these are SOOOOOO rare,it would be fun to repro-fab a trailer out of spare frames and pieces.Looks to be fairly simple using available parts but any spare tracks (in the world-if you could find any,anywhere---) would likely be used on a powered machine----

I know - I was thinking the same thing - I talked with some mini-excavator guys in the midwest about getting an all rubber replacement tracks - the are 4" pitch (100mm) with 76 grousers and 14" (355mm) wide - should be able to get a track made by one of these guys that list tracks for all sorts of crap - this tread pattern looks kinda close for something with no grousers...

I forsee myself embarking on the great track fabrication crusade once I get one of mine restored - looking at the construction they are super simple - the rubber is the only challenging part - there has GOT to be someone that is willing to cast the two rubber rings onto a fabricated track blank...

The market is definitely there if repros were made...

Matt

Attachments

waayfast

That track looks very close-close enough I would run it and "exact looks" be danged!Yeah, with all the rubber track manufacturers in the world building tracks for 7 gazillian different rubber track excavators and other machines I think copying/building these would not be that dang hard.The half tracks are essentially the same just longer so there would be even more of a market.

Somewhere out there is a Chinese/Indian/Indonesian company out there that already makes similar tracks that would jump at the chance to sell more! We just are not (yet) finding that company!

Jim

swordmd

It looks like the North West is where to look for Cletracs here are some more in Idaho these are Stan Standal's and we are working on get some more soon for near here. Waatfast we need to meet email me.

Attachments

Your modification to the trailer hitch was fantastic... did you build it or did some one else? It looks spot on for hitching to a deuce.[thumbzup]
Thanks - I built it myself - wanted to go to the larger lunette eye and not have the trailer run uphill...

With the 14.00's on the duece the pintle hook is about 36" off the ground! I made an 8" drop for the trailer out of 3/4" plate and then just ran some tube back for braces...

Needs a few new deck boards, LED lights and a paint job...

As for the tractors themselves I have been blasting a few little parts here and there when in town but have been in Ketchikan, AK since mid Feb. - I plan on getting after them this summer once the M543 is up and running to assist with rigging parts!

Attachments

M2Cletrac

That'd be awesome - oh yeah btw - Shelby wants a Stollie in a bad way... I'll just give him a little shove under the bus ;)
Matt, I think there were 3 of them in Kenmore a few years back sitting in the weeds. I'll call the guy that was looking at them later and see if he knew what happened to them. They may have the parts you desire.
Any update on the 3 cleatracs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks