• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M200A1 and MT-6950 TRC

oilcan

The rally camper project got started a few days ago and things are starting to come together. I started by unbolting a few unnessecary peices, drilled out three trillion rivets, and broke out the sawzall with a demolition blade.

There is still plenty of work to do. I need to find someone to TIG some of the aluminum structure, pop rivet some skin here and there, and mount it to the trailer before I smooth over the rough edges. And I'll have to figure out which cargo cover to use.

The trailer will get mud flaps, a big tool box, a spare tire mount, and probably a bunch of other goodies.

Attachments

oilcan

That's the plan.

I'd like to get it done within the next week, but we've been dodging a lot of raindrops lately. The thing has been at the house for three days, and it's been dry enough to work on it for almost half that time.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an interesting radio shelter/mount. What was it's original purpose, i.e. what radio system used to be installed in that?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! That looks completely usefull now without all that crap in it! Sounds like a great project, looking forward to more photos from the project.

oilcan

It's mounted on the trailer, but sits higher than I originally planned. Instead of finding someone willing to do a boatload of tig welding for free, I set the whole thing on 4" I beams. Now I have a huge area under the shelter to use for more storage, water tanks, etc...

The master cylinder and air tank are easy to access. There is plenty of tire clearance. The rear stabilizer legs are working better each time I use them.

Attachments

oilcan

Yeah, but that's cover #2 of about 6. (or 8?) It just needs a few easy patches and some work on the straps. I'll check out the rest of them the next time I get out to the mine.

Today I took it easy and just smoothed over some rough edges inside the shelter. And the curb side bed area now has some support at the edge.

Black and decker sure makes a crummy 4 1/2" angle grinder. After 20 minuites of light work, the magic smoke found a way out. That 2 year warranty will sure come in handy. How many can I kill in that amount of time? :|

oilcan

I made a little more progress, but other projects are creeping in to keep me from finishing it.

The cargo covers are sorted out and all need some kind of work. The two nicest ones have a busted seam right at the top center, and all the others need straps replaced and big holes and scuffs patched.

I had to mmodify the tailgate to accept one of those short trailer boarding ladders. The mounting brackets need to be replaced with steel. The first time I put the ladder in place, the right bracket bent. But once it's set up, the whole thing is pretty stable. I am thinking of getting a king sized air mattress to lay on the ground. If I have to get up in the middle of the night, that four foot drop is gonna hurt!

Let's see... I got all the tubing stubs left behind by the sawzall ground off. Since it's aluminum, I had to use cutoff wheels instead of grinding wheels.

What else? The tailgate cables are in place, and are working pretty well.

I think that's about it for now.

Oh, the b&d grinder went bye-bye and was replaced with another crummy chinese unit from a different maker. I don't know the brand, but it's working out a little better so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks