• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M200A1/M353 31 Trailers

JeepMan

GL is offering these trailers right now. (Use "Utility" for the search).
How would you use a trailer such as this?? Looks like thier should be some kind of container on the rails or between the rails but thier to narrow for regular Conex's.

LanceRobson

The M200 series of 2-1/2 ton trailers is primarily used for 15 kW and 30 kW sets. It's deck sits up at the height of an M105 1-1/2 ton trailer and it has dual 9.00-20 tires. The M153 series of 3-1/2 ton trailers is used for 60 kW through 100 kW sets and it's deck sits very low due to a torsion bar drop axle. It has single 11.00-20 or 11.00R20 tires. Due to the low center of gravity they have the same rating on or off road.

I'm not really familiar with the M200s but the mounting deck of the M153s is a series of perforated channels used to line up the bolt holes in the generator set base. There is no floor, just the channels.

Both were modified for special purposes such as the modified M153 used for the Mobile Welding Shop etc.

I've never found a good "aftermarket" use for an M153 but did buy a rough looking early '60s one for the minimum bid because it had a pair of good 11.00R20 XLs on it and the rim is a deuce rim. Something like that or an M200 with four good tires would be worth picking up if the site is close.

I don't know about the M200 but none of the M153 running gear or brakes are common to any truck. Parts, for the M153 anyway, would seem hard to find.

Since they are designed for compact dense loads they don't seem to have much else going for them.

Lance

EnteJager

I took a 15 kw off a M200, the trailer had 4 brand new titans, which I sold for 100.00 a piece, the trailer went to scap 2000lbs @ 8.5 cents per, net =170.00
Pulled a nice clean wire harness and 2 real clean tail lights, also took the 5 gal can holders off, along with the fire extinguisher for the duece.

If it is clean and is equipped there is alot of potential in those trailers.:-D

peecook

i just got a m200 that had a metal deck on it and plan on mounting an HMMWV ambulance body on it. will start a thread in a couple weeks.

the only other use i've had is $150 bucks got me 4 spare tires.

AaronHorrocks

We trained on the M353 when I was in Motor Transport School in Missouri. The instructors told me it was a generator trailer. I spent at least two weeks working with them, and I had this novel idea of adapting it with a wood deck for hauling a M274 Mule, or possibly motorcycles.

Currently, there are guys out there getting thier hands on the not too common M116A2 (M101 series trailer, flatbed generator trailer with surge brakes) and doing some extensive work to convert them to haul a M274.
The drawbacks are: You hack up the body, you have to make or buy large tall loading ramps, driving the Mule up is quite a hairy task, once loaded it barely fits even still, and the center of gravity is quite high when loaded.

While all of these are disadvantages on an M116A2 converted to haul a Mule, I suspect that NONE of them would exist when an M353 is converted to haul a Mule. It's larger, so no or little body work will be done (there are two support brackets that *MAY* be in the way. While the M353 uses 2.5 ton wheels, the deck is below the axle, thus shorter ramps would be needed. And loading the Mule will be easier. And the ceter of gravity will be at or below the center of the axle, thus towing will be an ease, and the trailer will certainly handle better. Due to it's larger size, the mule will fit nicely between the fenders and the front frame, unlike on the M116A2 where it's riding ontop of the thing.

Anyhow, that's my little speil. I just bought an M353 and I intend to convert it to haul a M274 Mule. With a GWV of 2,650 lbs it shouldn't be a chore to haul even behind a civilian truck. Furthermore, if in a highway collision, the M353 will protect it's cargo better than an M116A2, which would likely loose it's cargo.

MDSA

I have both trailers, and much prefer the M353. As stated already by Aaron, the M200 is too high. My 353 has 67" of clearance between wheel wells and a 9' long bed. I have built a wooden box for the 353 for hauling firewood. Now I do need to say that I have bought 6 M200 for tires. Usually get the 200 cheap, and sold a few tires and sold some trailers for scrap, and have new tires on my Deuce.

AaronHorrocks

I just bought an M353, and don't need another one. Unless yours is better.

With a total of 9 Military Vehicles... storage is now a HUGE problem. I think I'd have to sell mine first.

jesusgatos

Well, Better all depends on what you want to do with it. I built a steel frame to support a large deck and then set a 12ft uhaul box on top of it, so it's an enclosed trailer now. More info and pics here. Flexible on the price. Got a new, smaller trailer, so this one needs to go.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Can anyone give me a measurement of what the width is on the load carrying space of a 353? It isn't in the manual.

thanks

wilfreeman

I know this is an old thread, but relevant to my question. I see in post #9 that the width between the fenders is 67" x 9' long. So here is my question. If the frame was extended slightly, to say 10', would this make a good hauler for my m38a1 (which is about 61" wide at the widest point - that would leave 3" on each side)? I can see that the fender braces would have to be modified. There is one about 100 miles from me and this thought crossed my mind. I am looking for a cheap trailer with brakes to haul the Jeep behind the deuce.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neither of those are the ideal answer. These use air over hydraulic so you will need air brakes .Most states require brakes on anything 3000lbs and over plus they are considerably wider trailers than your tow vehicle. Converting over to electric would be a $1000-$1500+ project. Probably better off with a m116 chassis for a shelter or the newer m1101/m1102 style generator chassis that use surge brakes.
ymmv

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks