• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M200A1 Trailer Question

uscgjason

I'm getting ready to pull a MEP 804 B trailer system to Tennessee from Alaska. Anyone know what kind of speed this trailer can handle?
Thanks.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As long as the tires are good and you have serviced the wheel bearings is will go Hwy speed.

drivebymashing

Id probably just check grease and check for play in the bearings. The tires are rated for like 55mph. Ive pulled trailers with the same tires at 70 with no problem. Thats an incredibly long drive...

Guyfang

Staff member
Thank you. Does anyone know where to get wheel bearings and such for these monsters?
Look in the parts manual, get the part numbers and buy some. This is not an unnormal bearing. Should be able to get some at truck parts place. But why get new bearings?

If it were me, and I was worried, I would pull the hubs off and regrease and install it all again. Follow the TM instructions. I have driven a million miles towing the M200A1 trailer at speeds of 30-70 mph, and have never been let down by the trailer. This is one of the few I wold trust on a long haul.

Wheel bearing race # 7411377 wheel bearing # MS19081-112 nut #7411379 ( two each side ) lock for nuts #7411378
Don't forget wheel bearing grease

Attachments

I'm using a 1 ton Chevy crew cab.
The reason I ask is, depending on which version of the M200A1 you have (dualed, single wheeled, etc) most states require you having trailer baking ability for trailers over 3000 pds GVW. That's a long distance to drive not able to control braking and possibly not in compliance with state laws. A lot of people ride dirty in MVs, not following laws, licensing requirements, etc. Just make sure you do the research to see what the laws in the stated you are going through. Safety first.

Last edited:

uscgjason

The reason I ask is, depending on which version of the M200A1 you have (dualed, single wheeled, etc) most states require you having trailer baking ability for trailers over 3000 pds GVW. That's a long distance to drive not able to control braking and possibly not in compliance with state laws. A lot of people ride dirty in MVs, not following laws, licensing requirements, etc. Just make sure you do the research to see what the laws in the stated you are going through. Safety first.

Thanks it wasn't something I thought about and the air system on it will just be disabled so it should free wheel, but it is a single wheel trailer.

uscgjason

I remember reading at some point that it is equipped with an air brake system it is required to be used. Don't remember where I read that though.
Yes I'm sure it is required to be used at some point I may have to look at a conversion or just selling the whole thing and doing something else. I hadn't planned to move to Tennessee so this is a new development

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its only about 4000lbs total. I'd pull it. If your worried about the 3k weight limit some states might have, put the genset in the bed of the truck and tow the trailer by itself. I'd let some air out of the tires so it offers a smoother ride.

Just my opinion.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its only about 4000lbs total. I'd pull it. If your worried about the 3k weight limit some states might have, put the genset in the bed of the truck and tow the trailer by itself. I'd let some air out of the tires so it offers a smoother ride.

Just my opinion.
Even at 4000lbs if there is any kind of bad weather it could be iffy crossing the mountains without brakes.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Point taken, I haven't driven west much. I'd just load the genset in the bed then.

This is specifically the reason I keep my purchases to within a 4hr drive!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Taking the ALCAN or a ferry? Going thru the mountains in the Yukon and BC is no joke. If you’re towing the full PU-802 without brakes take it slow. Very slow. And watch out for critters. Elk, moose, bison, bears, etc have no issues with standing in the road. Stopping quick with that trailer behind you may not be an option.

Guyfang

Staff member
Taking the ALCAN or a ferry? Going thru the mountains in the Yukon and BC is no joke. If you’re towing the full PU-802 without brakes take it slow. Very slow. And watch out for critters. Elk, moose, bison, bears, etc have no issues with standing in the road. Stopping quick with that trailer behind you may not be an option.
In the late 70's, a friend of mine spent 8 months in the hospital when a moose ran out in front of his VW bug. He might have been a little sleepy also. He was coming down from Alaska to be stationed in Washington. That was the end of his military career. Probably hasn't gotten any better in the last little bit.

rustystud

In the late 70's, a friend of mine spent 8 months in the hospital when a moose ran out in front of his VW bug. He might have been a little sleepy also. He was coming down from Alaska to be stationed in Washington. That was the end of his military career. Probably hasn't gotten any better in the last little bit.
If anything the "critter" incidents have risen out here due to the encroachment on their habitat. Mostly just stupid deer walking down the center of the road. Though the mountain lions have started using the roads also. Probably following the deer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks