• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m211 brake fluid

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the site and with that said it is posts like this that make me cringe. That you are driving a 50+year over 6 ton truck with a single circuit brake system and don't know where the master cylinder is, something that should have been checked before you moved it. With a single circuit if you loose one you loose it all. I hope you do not take this the wrong way but, I have been in this hobby for awhile and have seen a lot of bad things happen to new owners.m135.jpg

Now that is out of the way, when sitting in the drivers seat look down by your left foot and there should be a round hole in the floor a couple inches from the side by the front of the door. The round cap will need a socket to remove and that is the master cylinder fill cap. I have dot5 in all my MV's as brakes work is not my favorite pass time, there are threads on here to help you figure out what type is in your system now. Hopefully you will just need to bleed your brake system and/or adjust the shoes. Make sure the brake lock switch to the left of the steering wheel is turned off before starting to bleed. Bleed the air pack first then the farthest wheel away from master cylinder and work your way forward. Left front wheel being the last one.Take your time and you should be fine. Your truck has two wheel cylinders per wheel make sure you bleed bottom one first

This is a good source for early duce questions http://www.steelsoldiers.com/archive/index.php/f-18-p-2.html and this is another good place to down load the manuals for this beast http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM135-211sTMdownloadpage.htm.

Glad you have chosen a 211 and please post pictures.

Last edited:

nattieleather

I would assume unless someone has done something different that you have Dot 3 brake fluid. Get the manuals for the truck. Check the fluid level, then try adjusting the brakes, and then bleed if need be. The system is a good system and if working properly with stop the truck on a dime and give you 8 cents change. The key there is everything needs to be working properly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you assume dot 3?

I would test what is in it and match it, unless you have a personal preference. Then I would use what you like(which may require a complete flush/clean, depending on what you find is in it now).

Bigal700

Ya a township had it and used it as plow truck in winter and when they weren't using a farmer used it as a grain truck i got the whole history on it from a guy i worked with he knew the farmer the used it

RodUSMC1962

That is a nice 211, make sure everything is in good working order and enjoy! There is a way to determine what fluid is in it now but I don`t rember how, maybe someone will post how to do this. :beer:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting the pics. You have some history info for her? Love to hear those stories about where they've been and what they've done.....for 60 years.

If you haven't heard the "what you gonna do with that" question yet ??????

Mileage?

Last time used, serviced?

If she sat for a while and you are going on public roads it's hubs off and at the very least an inspection of all rubber in the brake system. No need to add brake fluid until all your mechanical checks are done because you could just be pouring it into a hole.

As we all know if one cap, line, hose or fitting pops while braking you loose the option of stopping. My mechanic buddies reject rubber that shows signs of moisture/sweating or cracks.....correct decisions are usually the most difficult and expensive on old trucks.

If you're still testing then it's easy enough to crack a bleed screw at any backing plate and have soldier b push the pedal a little. "The differences between Dot 3 and Dot 5" is easy enough to find out. http://www.advancepetro.com/differentbrakefluid.htm

I drop all fluids on a truck I don't have a history on so I know the brake fluid has not boiled.

Some more detailed pics of that plow assembly would make this plowboy very happy and thanks for sharing on Steel Soldiers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks