• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 build, guidance appreciated...

Hondo76251

Made a heck of a trade, got the old M211 from my uncle for 2 (or was it 3) bottles of Pendleton...

been a busy summer but finally got her hauled up to my place and I've had a chance to look it over a bit and I'm trying to make a plan of attack...

The old truck has been in the family for quite a while; served as a fire fighter and faithfully fought many a range fire in her day. (I can remember a few from when I was a little kid) Has a 5th wheel plate and drug many a rig through the gumbo to the highway when nothing else could... She's been setting now for the better part of 10-12 years but was running when parked. My uncle got a 5-ton on his ranch to replace her, so now she's coming to serve on my place.

So the first question...

Is there any value to the GMC 6cyl and Hyrdro trans thats in this rig? If there was, my plan was to get her running as is if I can then sell the eng/trans when I get time this winter. I've got a 6.2/700r4 thats itching for a new home...

SturmTyger380

You might find another dedicated G749'er that would want your engine and transmission for parts or a spare. Heck I would take them and store them just in case. But these are heavy buggers and distance is the killer in dealings like this.

Alan

Hondo76251

I don't get rid of too many old things (as my wife will surely tell you)

I'm sure I'll keep the old eng/trans in a shed around here somewhere when I take her out, maybe somebody will need one some day!

Thats still a ways off, I'd like to get her running as is for now just to make sure its all in working order before I go rebuilding/changing/re-engineering things...

Aside from the obvious stuff (fluids 'n such) What's the more common trouble areas to look for when resurrecting one of these things after years being dormant? Any parts I should order now and just have on hand for when I try getting her to breathe fire again in a month or so...

(My CUCV is still plugging one of the bay's in my shop so I've got to get that build finished up before I roll another in and start another mess... )

USMC 00-08

Welcome to the forum!

I would highly recommend ordering a copy of TM 9-8024. It will be a huge help to you as it was and is to me as I have been learning and working on these trucks. The carburetor will probably need a rebuild. The fuel pump can freeze up if left in old fuel. I'd highly recommend installing an inline fuel filter just before the carburetor to keep stuff out of that.

The original points in mine have all been questionable. Probably not a bad idea to take off the valve cover, turn the engine over by hand and make sure things are in order there, so you might need a valve cover gasket.

Here is a link to our parts list. Lots of stuff on it that you might need.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137722-G749-Parts-List

Last edited:

SturmTyger380

Even before I turn the engine I take the plugs out and put penetrating oil in the cylinders and let them sit for a few days spraying more in there every now and then. Then turn it by hand with the plugs out and see how easy it is to turn or if it binds.

I disconnect the fuel pump and get a small gas can and run a temporary gas line to the carburetor with an inline filter.

Then I get a spare input wire to the distributor and swap that with the one on the truck.

I get two batteries and connect one to the pos of the started and the other to the frame. I run a wire from the pos to the dist wire I added.

This way you don't rely on old harness wires that could burn up.

I cranked my truck for a few turns with the plugs out. Put them back and tried again. Ended up changing the points and she fired right up.

Hondo76251

That's what I was thinking. I didn't get a chance today, but maybe tomorrow I'll pull the plugs and put some WD-40 in...

With an engine that's set this long, I usually change the oil, then pull the distributor and run the oil pump too...

Likewise, I usually like to use a jump wire and a remote starter trigger for a first start... and judging by the mouse sh!t I found, I had better do a thorough inspection of the harness!

Someone was telling me this truck was Positive earth... Is that correct? I noticed it has a red cable running from the batt box to the frame, but in a truck this old, that don't mean much... my semi-daily driver is set up that way because I was in a bind and that's all I had... that was 2 years ago! :oops:

I'll take some pics tomorrow. Someone who knows more than me can probably tell, but it looks, to me, like its all original. Air/hyd brakes, 24v waterproof electrical sys...

SturmTyger380

It's negative ground.

I also took the carburetor off and cleaned it and found dirt dabbler mud nests on the throttle plate. That would have been really bad for the engine.

If you run a wire to the starter you can use the start lever to start it.

Hondo76251

It's negative ground.
Thanks! I was 99% sure, but had a friend that was convinced it was posative earth, told him he was full of :3dAngus: but we popped the hood and found a red ground cable!

I think I'll take the carb off, probably not disassemble it, but carb clean the snot out of it at least... for now...

I've got an electric lift pump (and a 5 gal boat tank) I usually use on something like this... I've had better luck in the past with things that haven't been started in 15 - 20+ years than I have things that have 2 year old gas in them... whatever they've done to the gas in the last 5 years has made resurrecting old iron a PITA... that crap turns to varnish in 6 months now days...

Hondo76251

Oh and WD40 is not a very good penetrating oil.
You're from the south, you'll understand... :wink:

"Wd-40" here is the universal term (that along with "panther piss" but I wasn't sure how much geography that colloquialism covered!)

Sort of like ordering a "Coke" down south and being asked "What kind?"

I actually use REM oil from the gun safe... Then a little squirt of 10w-30 w/lucas in each hole right before I put the plugs in the last time... What do you use?

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Digital copies are nice but sometimes having a paper copy right by you when you work is the way to go. Ebay has some reasonably priced. Portrayal Press isn't too bad either.

Hondo76251

Digital copies are nice but sometimes having a paper copy right by you when you work is the way to go...
Agreed... hard to run from my computer to the shop and back every time I have to look at something. I end up printing off what I need when I find a download online, but by the time I'm done I usually find it would have been simpler (and probably cheaper) just to buy the paper copy in the first place...

think I'll get one on the way shortly...

Hondo76251

A few pics to start

Got a chance to take a few pictures, but nothing else very productive... at least as far as this project goes. Have a tractor in my shop at the moment that's plugging things up... No rest for the wicked...
IMG_20150926_092240376 CROPPED.jpg
Not much to look at yet, but ain't nothing a little fresh paint can't cure...
IMG_20150930_081753353_HDR.jpgIMG_20150930_081818053_HDR.jpg
Engine bay... more to come as I dig deeper...
IMG_20150930_081859383_HDR.jpgIMG_20150930_081906804_HDR.jpg
At least the seats are nice! :driver:

USMC 00-08

Good looking truck! Ugly can be fixed easily. Everything looks straight from what I can see. You have a lot to work with there.

What year is the truck and can you see what the hood number is?

Hondo76251

What year is the truck and can you see what the hood number is?
It's '53, not sure the hood # yet...

Yeah, thanks, she's pretty straight and complete... Although I just got a lead on a boneyard that's got some old military stuff in it I'll have to take a look at this week... Can never have too many spare parts!

Not sure what to do for tires, I think for now, the rear duals flipped around will work fine... The 1961 tires will have to work for a while until I figure out what rubber I want for her...

Is it hard to find rims to go single on these rigs? I understand the Canadian ones were singles... I'm closer to Canada than most of the US!

jw4x4

One of the best penetrating fluids is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Put it in a squirt oil can. This works wonders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks