• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211...custom??

Atomic

All right you truck freaks. The time has come for me to put or shut up about getting an MV. Although I am proud of my avatar (my boots look good) I think the time has come to slap up a "my" MV in there.

I will be buying a M211 next week for $1,500. I have pics but they will not download. I'll try again this weekend and edit this if I can.

1. It is for the most part orginal, gasser 6 with automatic, correct front bumper and winch and black out lights. The only missing part is the bed.

2. The frame and cab have very little scrathes, dents or rust which was a surprise considering the southern humidity.

3. The inside of the cab, although, dirty is complete and sound.

4. The front and rears have mich XLs all the way around.

I think that for the money and the condition it is a decent deal. The person who owns it is about to have it scrapped and I think it is a good save.

Questions-

Can you single this truck by flipping the hubs?
Will a M35 bed fit on this frame?
Can you get a soft top to replace the hard top?

Now on to the second part of the title.

I plan on keeping the truck stock looking. Those round fenders realy catch the eye IMHO. As for the drive train I want ideas. I HATE AUTOMATICS!!!!!!!

I was told by another SS memeber the the CCKW transmission will bolt up but a search on a few other sites indicate that these are becoming rare and I don't wish to take from a dewndling pool of parts that can be used for what they were intended for.

What in your opinion would make good replacements for the drive train or what would you do to make this a wonderful truck. Here is your chance to tell me!

I want your opinion. To the purist, thank you but I am not a purist in this aplication. 1932 talbot lago teardrop NEEDS to be original. This truck is going to be a custom.

No it will not be a big werid mudder or all cut up with things missing. Again I want a stock look with newer upgrades.

Let it roll:mrgreen:

AMGeneral

On a M211,you can't single it out with anything but M135 wheels with the correct spacing.

A M35 bed will fit the frame and bolt directly in place.

I have several soft top frames that I would trade you for the hard top if it is an original factory hardtop.

BTW,I also have a CCKW trans and transfer case that came out of a M211 that had been converted,this gives you manual front wheel drive and a high and low range in the transfer case.

Atomic

AMGeneral, thanks. I'll have to get back to you on the cab. I know pictures would help but....It has the little windows behind the door frame, is that the correct hard top? If it is and you want to trade then you got it. To quote Jeremy Clarkson "Why have a top when you have 40 million miles of head room". I agree.

All righty then on the wheels and hubs. I would like to single them out so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled on the wheels.

Good copy on the bed info.

Honestly if I decide on keeping the gasser that might be the way to go. Having said that I was thinking more along the lines of a complete engine/trans/transfer swap. Maybe a 6bta with a spicer 7 speed or a 353t with a 5 and 2. Something along those lines. Doesn't have to be diesel but I would prefer it. I saw a guy utube that had put a 353na in one and I liked that mod.

For the sake of driving it around a bit I would be interested in the trans and transfer.

Thanks for the info.

Atomic

sandcobra164

Russ,
I'm looking forward to helping you pick that truck up next weekend. Hopefully you can get your first drive in it but I'll bring the M35A2 along with medium towbar and pins just in case. Should be a great day whichever way we have to recover it. I'm curious to how my truck will tow now that I've put 11R20 Firestone's on it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you are going to tow it, bring some 15/16" pins, as these and the early m34 series had 15/16" holes for the lift brackets

Atomic

Thanks man! i'm looking forward to it as well. 73m819 thanks, I'll make sure I bring them along. Hopefully, this will go smoothly.

Russ

Atomic

Bugeyedbear, thanks. I have pics at home but I can not for life of me I can not get them to upload. I'm also trying to track down the orginal bed for it. If I can't find it I found a M35 bed for $400 that should drop into place.

This should be a lot of fun. Don't think I'll have it ready for the rally.

Need you advise. $400 for a stock duece bed or $700 for a dropside bed. The dropside would be nice but $700 seems a bit much. What do ya'll think??

nattieleather

I agree unless your going to be using a forklift to load and unload save the $300 for something else.

Now as for the wheels....I know that M35 rims will fit on a M211 and vice versa. Spent a whole day swapping tires from a M35 onto the M211 and the good tires on the 211 onto the M35. So rims are the same why couldn't some of the aftermarket rims for the M35 to single them up work on the 211? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work.

Atomic

I have had the same thought but due to lack of experience with it I couldn't say. AMGeneral said there is a clearance issue with this and after looking at some pics of both I do see a difference. Not much but there none the less.

Roger on the bed. I think I will save my 300.

I am having a difficult time restraining myself. I want to leave work and go pick it up right now but no matter how much I like my dakota, I don't think she's up for towing it. :p

Maybe I can get sandcobra to help out with some pics this weekend.

Question to the masses.....Would it be better to get the the actual issued wrench for the wheels or order the "bud" socket set from NAPA???

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you are going to tow it, bring some 15/16" pins, as these and the early m34 series had 15/16" holes for the lift brackets

I had an early XM211 and my 1in pins fit just fine?

Definitly want to see pics when you get them loaded. The tires are worth more than what you are paying for the truck IMHO

nattieleather

As for single tires....if you got the money you can get singles on it. Just a matter of getting new rims made with the correct sizing and backspacing. ... :lol:

Oldfart

I had an early XM211 and my 1in pins fit just fine?

July, I picked up an M220 from army surplus (GL) that had one lift shackle on the rear (missing the bumperetts as well). Oddly, the rear shackle and pin are 15/16 and a one inch pin will not fit through the other rear shackle bracket. The front shackle brackets will accecpt a one inch pin just fine. When I repainted the front end, I checked the front brackets carefully and they do not appeared to have been oversized. How "for sure" are the original shackles supposed to be only 15/16 inch?

Atomic

As for single tires....if you got the money you can get singles on it. Just a matter of getting new rims made with the correct sizing and backspacing. ... :lol:
Yeah it will be on my to do list. For now I have to be content with owning a deuce. :mrgreen:

Definitly want to see pics when you get them loaded. The tires are worth more than what you are paying for the truck IMHO
I agree in general but not these tires. They have seen some miles. :driver:

Well, I guess I should say this:

I own a deuce NOW!!!!!!! :driver::mrgreen::razz::p:mrgreen::driver:

Thanks to everyone for the advise and I will post up some pics as soon as I can.

Russ

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
July, I picked up an M220 from army surplus (GL) that had one lift shackle on the rear (missing the bumperetts as well). Oddly, the rear shackle and pin are 15/16 and a one inch pin will not fit through the other rear shackle bracket. The front shackle brackets will accecpt a one inch pin just fine. When I repainted the front end, I checked the front brackets carefully and they do not appeared to have been oversized. How "for sure" are the original shackles supposed to be only 15/16 inch?
Absolutely positive. (they could have been changed sometime in the last 60 years though)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, just noticed this was the early deuce forum. The M44 series were 15/16. I would ASSUME the early ones were the same especially with you stating that the rears were 15/16, since the early shackles were the same front to back, but I can't say with certainty on the early G149 series.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks