• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 GMC 2.5ton axle help

Foreverunstopable

Well after all that huff and puff thinking the transfer-case we the root of my problem I have found the culprit. My C-6500 will drive forwards but at speeds over 20 you hear what I can best be described as an output from a transfer case spinning loosely on the threads, missing the splint shaft then catching. In reverse the truck would move backwards 4-5 inches then bind and stop. I removed the front drive shaft and rear drive shaft, still bound. Lifted the rear end and it spun freely. Lifted the front end and it spun freely forwards but the input flange on the pumpkin would turn then miss the teeth and sit still then catch again. Spinning the wheels in reverse it would rotate 1/2 of a turn and bind. I looked at the flange and the nut was loose enough to move with your fingers slightly back and forth but still had the retention pin in. It seemed like it was seated. Does anyone know the torque specification for that nut? I know these axles have some wear but 1/2 a turn is huge. I pulled the drive flanges out of the hubs and could at least move the truck around the yard. I'll be milling out the splines and re-installing them to at least get it on the road.

What is the best plan? Should I start looking for a takeout axle and just free wheel the front or pull the pumpkin? I'm not going to be off pavement with this truck. I'd like to hear what you all say. Thanks.

acetomatoco

ya all go get the TM 9-1819AC of 12/52 and go to the section called Rebuild of Carrier and Differential Assembly...the books are available from Portrayal Press.

Foreverunstopable

Looked in the TM section and did not see it. There were the 9-8024's but it did not cover diff removal ect. Does anyone have TM 1819AC in PDF or can someone copy the section on axle rebuilds and mail it to me?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Portrayal Press sells these - from my experience working on difs, the cost of the manual is nothing compared to the cost of the parts - and the time involved in working on them - especially the time working on the difs WITHOUT manuals.

Dennis has done a great job on manuals for a lot of years, and has been a huge help to the hobby (founder of Military Vehicles Magazine, one of the founding members of the MVPA). Prices are reasonable, and shipping is super-prompt. Website is www.portrayal.com, or give him a call at (973) 579-5781.

HTH,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks