• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m211 insturment panel

fallen

I just purchased a m211 it has been sitting for 5 years does anyone know where I can get a complete insturment panel this one had been removed thanks. Will submit pictures if i can figure out how.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunfreak25

Tom at Alfa Heaven can set you up with a panel with gauges, if nobody cut the wires it should be a simple plug and play deal. Wiring on these vehicles is very straightforward once you've played around under the dash a bit.

Alfa Heaven Inc. Home Page

drlogistics

Whoa Gunner. You are right down the road from me! I'm down in Lapeer. Now back to this thread. Is this truck from ebay? I was looking at one on ebay that was in NC and it too was missing the dash panel. Anyway, good luck. And I hope you do a better job posting your resto progress than I do.aua

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gauge assembly

Did you get this solved?

We can always package up a radiation laden Canadian gauge package and send it across the border...........or can we?

Pictures can be attached by clicking on the paperclip after you click "Add Reply" (Lotsa clickin'). Ten 'browse' boxes come up and when you click on 'browse', you get access to all your files or camera cards or wherever you keep pictures. I shove a camera card into a hole on my computer then look for "computer" after clicking on the browse box. Find a picture, click on it and SS pretty much takes care of things from there. If you know how to size pictures, as described in the rules, you can do that too. Size does matter.

Is this it?

Attachments

Last edited:

fallen

The guy i bought it from purchased it directly from a gov. auction up north. He had it sent to his address in Matthews NC I think he purchased it about 8 years ago. 5 years ago someone from the gov. when to his house and took the entire cluster panel out. I am not sure if the wires were cut. Basically the guy stopped driving it after the cluster panel was removed. Thats why its been sitting for 5 years.

135gmc

If they cut the wires, you can repair them fairly easily. Considering the age of the wiring, you might want to plan on a future rewiring of the entire truck, though. You can do a quick patch job using commercial bullet-type male/female connectors that you can buy from NAPA. These aren't the "official" connectors, but they will let you do a patch job that will let you drive the truck and see what's happening on the gauges. If you do a complete re-wire down the road, it's easy to add the extra wires needed for turn signals at the same time. You can buy a complete harness with all the correct wires and connectors, but you will need a handfull of connectors and pieces to repair the stubs for the taillights, marker lights, etc. You can also use the old harnesses as a pattern to make your own new harness, but it's easier to buy whatever you can and then make the odds and ends yourself.

If you have to install some of the original Douglas terminals on wire, you have several options: you can solder them on (this can result in broken wire since the solder wicks up into the wire and makes the connection stiff), you can use a Buchannan commercial crimper (cost is about $ 65 - it's a little large, but it works), you can track down the old motor pool repair crimping tool (cheaply made - most are worn out by now), or you can track down a military grade crimper (Daniels or similar - these are the first choice, but can cost $ 400 new, and usually about $ 100 used). Terminals and parts are available from Saturn Surplus(?), and I think Erik's also has them. Regardless who has them, they get expensive.

Let me know if you need connector parts - I have the connecvtors, shells, grommets, and all the rest on the shelf - I may have a military (Daniels or equivalent) crimper left as well.

Stan Leschert

Did you get this solved?

We can always package up a radiation laden Canadian gauge package and send it across the border...........or can we?

Pictures can be attached by clicking on the paperclip after you click "Add Reply" (Lotsa clickin'). Ten 'browse' boxes come up and when you click on 'browse', you get access to all your files or camera cards or wherever you keep pictures. I shove a camera card into a hole on my computer then look for "computer" after clicking on the browse box. Find a picture, click on it and SS pretty much takes care of things from there. If you know how to size pictures, as described in the rules, you can do that too. Size does matter.

Is this it?
Our Radium Guages will set off every alarm known to Home Land Security.

A Buddy just took an M37 through USA border, and they insisted on taking it on a test drive.

It came back 1 1/2 hours later, minus a freshly installed E-Brake.

They had no idea what they were doing, but had the power to go out and play, so now it is back in the shop. Thanks....

Source your guages locally, they are quite available. Tray Alfa Heaven.

North South Borders are not an adventure for the faint of heart or wallet!

fallen

I got the M211 yesterday. We towed it back to the house with my son's m35a2. The tow went very well. The M211 had been sitting ofr 5 years and the parking brake band had rusted it'self to the brake drum. With the help of a friend that already owns a M211 i was able to get it started. The gas tank will have to be cleaned. I was able to get a better look at the wires that he been going to the missing insturment panel. The wires were cut before the connectors so its a worst case situation. They even cut the speedo cable. I think the transmission is ok. still pondering on what to do about the instrument panel??
The peopel that seen to have used ones want big money for them.

Gunfreak25

That is awesome, another M211 saved from the ravages of time. If you go back to the top of this page, you will see I posted the link to the Alfa Heaven website. He sells dash panels for $15 and also carries all the other parts you are going to need. Just call him up and tell him your entire dash cluster with gauges is missing in action.

The easiest way to solve your wiring dilemma is going to be sitting on the cab floor with all of your gauges in hand and some alligator clips to test each one with the cut wires. Give me a few minutes and I will scan the wiring diagram onto the computer for your use.

Gunfreak25

Here you go, you can print this page out and it should help with what you have going on under the dash. HOPEFULLY they left the little metal wiring tags on the wires or at least a few of them which will help greatly.

Attachments

135gmc

Gunfreak is 100% right - contact Tom at Alfa Heaven. He is a great guy who knows GMCs like no one else - if you follow his advice, you won't go wrong. If you still have the wire numbers on the dash panel wiring, you can match them up to the diagram Gunfreak is sending you fairly easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks