• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 / M135 Hy-Tran question

M215

Has any one ran Hy-Tran fluid in their Hydramatics in place of Dexron or motor oil?
I have followed all the old posts and debates over the Dexron & SAE30 and understand the pros / cons.

Tractor Supply sells their brand of Hy-Tran replacement (International Harvester no long offers the original Hy-Tran), the folks on the tractor forums appear happy with the product.

Tom at Alfa Haven runs it in his GMC Hydramatics, has any one else had personal experience in their trannys?

Thanks, Karl

badgmc56

I don't run Hy-Tran in my GMC because I did not know if it would harm it. If Tom from Alfa-Heaven runs it in his stuff, then I would say it's fine. He knows those transmissions better than anyone.

M215

Tim,
I'm currently running SAE30 in the M215, have been for the last couple years. The fluid is changed every year in the M215, I'm planning on running the Hy-Tran this year. When I picked up the M221 late last year I put Hy-tran in it to flush out the apparently very old fluid in the tranny. The M221 has only been moved around the property some, but shifts fine.

Karl

M215

The tranny fluid has been changed, ended up using Pennzoil Hydra-trans fluid.
http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/HydraTranz.pdf
Some of the tractor forums did not give overall good reviews on the cheaper brand fluids (Tractor Supply).
The fluid was purchased in two 2.5 gallon jugs, drain and refill requires 16 qts overall. I have only had a chance to run the vehicle for a short trip, hope to make a longer run this weekend.
Karl

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not run Hy-tran type oils, but I did switch mine to ATF Dexron when I first got it under the adamant recommendation of a transmission man that had run and repaired them for many years. I used the truck for grain hauling, stone hauling, pulling a 32 foot implement trailer, and mounting an 11' angling State snow plow blade in the winter. I used the truck this way for 20 years with no transmission problems. A couple of tips, be sure to keep the exterior band adjustment taken care of. It is indicated by a rod under a cap at the top front of the shift valve boss on the side of the transmission. See the instruction manual for the procedure. Also remove the cover on the front of the transmission oil pan after draining the appropriate fluid (coolant) and wash out the cavity around the cooler element with a garden hose. This is the lowest point in the coolant system, so crud collects there and can interfere with the cooler function.
Frankly I get tired of hearing how the Hydramatic is such a weak transmission after having this experience with one. I firmly believe changing to oil other than engine oil and keeping adjustments and cooler maintenance done made it work as it did.
As for Hy-tran type fluids, they are used in tractors with automatic shifts and in Allisons. I am sure it would work with no problem if you buy a good quality oil.
Regards Marti

USMC 00-08

What do you use for brake fluid and for lubricating the air compressor? Also what batteries do you use for your truck?

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to find out the modern equivalents of what the manuals call for. I am new to this.:oops:

M215

M211

What do you use for brake fluid and for lubricating the air compressor? Also what batteries do you use for your truck?

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to find out the modern equivalents of what the manuals call for. I am new to this.:oops:
I'm always happy to share my learning curve. I have always run military DOT5 silicon brake fluid in the M215 since rebuilding it 5-6 yrs ago. Usually have to top off the resevor once a year since the silicon weeps past the cup seals. Wal-mart batteries work fine, Usually end up pealing the labels off to improve the looks.

Karl

USMC 00-08

I appreciate that. I am putting together a parts list with all of the parts #'s of things you can get at the local auto parts stores for these trucks as well as lists of all the suppliers who have military parts and all the modern equivalents of fluids needed.

If you have any parts #'s for anything that you have had to replace as well as other good sources of parts other than Alfa Heaven and E-bay, I would be greatfull if you could send that to me. Then one of these days when I get this all figured out and another new guy has the same questions, I'll just post "the list."

kip151

m135 gmc 6x6 auto transmission

Hi, first time typing on this site. I live in North east canada. Read a few comments on the hydro-matic transmissions in the m135/211 deuces. we have alot of these trucks laying around up here. I have a person that has a few of these and is very experienced with the workins of these vehicles. Anyway long story short, he said these transmissions need to be used every day and don't do well at all because and heres the thing, the manufacturer suggested using only #10 straight wt NON- DETERGENT oil in it and of course he says you can't by it any more. Modern detergent fluids causes all the seals to swell and badly leak, especially if it is not used much. So therefore on the chance you can buy a good low miler you will probably have problems with the transmissions. Also i found out that the air packs for the brake systems on these trucks had a recommendation of draining them every day, which was printed close to where one of the air tanks are, but old deuces used in the U.S army did not have this same recommendation. Either way if you don't drain them every time you use, they ROT and goodby brakes. Long winded i know but might help someone. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks