• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m211 stuck in low range

jzettek

hi my name is Jim and i have a 211 i bought a few years ago i have everything on it running pretty good except the transition i cant get it out of low range for anything i was hoping someone out there may have some experience with that or helpful advice?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had that happen, the reduction cone clutch gets stuck. Get it moving about 5 mph in low and then move to high. There will be an ugly bang.

1944mb

Will it not shift into to high-like physically can't pull it into high? I know USMC has a truck that when shifted to high range it kills the engine. With the engine off can you shift it to high? Sorry, I'm not much help to you, but am interested in condition

USMC 00-08

jzettek...I have seen several people over the years complain of this same issue. Keep us posted on the outcome. I will do the same when I give it a try. My transmission is only working in 1st and reverse in low gear. 1944mb is correct that when I shift to high with the engine running, it will kill the engine.

A friend that owned the truck before me said the transmission shifted fine before he parked it in 85 or 87. I started it in 2006, again in 2013 and the transmission issue was present at those times. I will check linkage, etc., to make sure things are moving as they should before I try shifting into high at 5 mph.

Some video footage of what is happening and the shift into high at 5 mph would be neat to see!

dmetalmiki

I am trying to puzzle this out...The TRANSMISSION is the transfer case, The 'Lump' in front of it! is the GEARBOX.
The Transfer gears are not affected by the gearbox gears.
1) If the transfer case gears will not shift from low to high range (irrespective of the gearbox gear selection) Check the TRANSFER case linkage.
If the transmission is 'WOUND UP' JACK UP one front wheel and one rear set.
Check the rotation ability.
If all seems ok and there was NO 'WHIP' when the wheels came free of the floor, Try reversing in "JUMPS" (using the clutch) While pulling firmly (NOT savagely!) UP on the TRANSFER HI-LOW selection lever.
If that fails after several attempts (backwards AND forwards with ( SHORT - SHARP 'jolts ( whilst applying the lift pressure on the shift lever)) The transfer case needs attention.
Make sure the front wheel drive engages - disengages. (after the 'WIND UP check ( and before commencing the 'JUMP trick' operation)).
Do everything Methodically, SLOWLY, and carefully. Good luck with it, let us know the outcome, and of course the resolution of the problem.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dmetalmiki, your post applies to G742 truck, we are speaking about a Hydramatic GMC. None of those in Europe.

dmetalmiki

Okay, The post will assist others with the manual set up. However, Since this is the Automatic ("cadillac) version, ah=lah Allison! You WILL have the dreaded reverse "BUG".

[FONT=&quot]Another weak point in the transmission was that High-Range reverse overloaded the rear clutch cone and often caused it to fail. For some reason, this fault was never corrected, so it became standard operating procedure never to use High Range reverse. Unfortunately, many later civilian owners of these vehicles, as well as some National Guard and Army Reserve personnel, were not aware of this flaw, which gave the transmission yet another bad rap.
Strange how many (of the) Modern trucks also have this seemingly (ridiculous?) and very vulnerable fault.
[/FONT]

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see.... The High/Low range part was an integral unit on the rear of the hydromatic transmission. It was coupled to the Transfer Case via a short jack shaft. The T-case was a single speed with a neutral shift point which was mostly used when the truck was fitted with a winch. There was quite a bit of important linkage assorted with both the Trans & T-case, as well as the engine that governs shift points. Proper adjustment might be in order, as per tech manual.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the engine bogs when trying to use high range, the fluid coupling is stuck, the 5 MPH roll and shift is a good start for both conditions, reduction cone and fluid coupling. ( Not torque converter on these.)

jzettek

hey thanks for the ideas and support guys i will give them a try and let you know. one way or another i will get this fixed i have never let a vehicle beet me yet and this is not going to be the first one thanks and have a great new year jim.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think NDT and a few others gave me the same advice about 5 years ago. I'm driving in in high or low whenever I want now.

I feel like we all have more problems when we let these trucks sit.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks