• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 Transmission Problems

monk-73

M211 Transmission problems. It will not up shift unless extremely tacking out motor and letting off the gas and then it will shift, or going down a hill it will up shift. Seems to down shift normally. Any idea of what the problem could be?

I have tried to change the oil, adjust carb linkage, adjust front band. Someone has told me to check govenor on distributor but doesn't make sense to check the govenor.

Any assistance would be greatful.

butch atkins

tranny problems

download the manuals from this site TM 9-8024,read pages 163-170,then pages 355-363,READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING,do exactly as the manual says to adjust the transmisiion,manual and throttle linkage ,if tranny has been working before as it should,and this is a new problem check the governor diaphragm unit that is on the carurbertor,that is the big round unit on the side of the carb,if the diaphragm is bad ,the engine is losing vaccum and the tranny is also using vaccum to tell it when to shift/not shift,had the same problem with erratic shifts ,adjusted everything about 3 times before i got smart enough to read about governor pages 234-236,simple fix bought carb rebuild kit and replaced diaphragm and life was good,hope this helps,keep posting,good luck,you cant fix this at the distributor ,only at the carb

butch atkins

re tranny problems

also check the 2 rubber hoses that are on the distributor end of the metal vaccum lines that run from the carb governor to the distributor,they could be cracked and leaking vaccum,i replaced mine ,they were so brittle they broke when i tried to adjust timing by moving the distributor,good luck

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen a vacuum line connection to the transmission in these trucks. Yes, other GM transmissions like some Allisons and 350 and 400 automatics have them, but not this transmission. The TM 9-8024 does not refer to any either. The governor they are referring to in the transmission section is in the transmission, not the one on the carburetor. The one on the carb only acts as maximum engine speed limiting device, vacuum controlled by the centrifugal type valve in the distributor (Page 228, 234 to 236). Page 235 shows the diagram of the connections, clearly showing none go to the transmission. It has no relation to governing the transmission.
The transmission is entirely controlled by sensing throttle position, shift lever position (high or low), speed, and its internal governor settings. This is why the mechanical linkage adjustments are critical. The TM gives troubleshooting advice and detailed step by step adjustment procedures. Follow the linkage adjustment procedures in the TM and your problem has a very good chance of going away.
You can test the engine governor if you have personal sand enough. I highly suggest you have a a tach attached, then wind the engine up to rated RPM and see if it shuts it down and holds that RPM. If not, you have a problem with the lines, the distributor unit, or the unit on the carburetor.
Regards Marti

badgmc56

As per tm9-8024 manual, if throttle linkage is adjusted too long, it will cause all shifts to occur at too high speeds. If linkage is adjusted properly, the governor in the transmission can contribute to shifting at too high speeds. You may also have a transmission control valve problem that can cause this. You must do the steps in order to properly diagnose your problem. Do yourself a favor and either download all the manuals you can or just buy them like I did. Can never have too much information on these trucks. Bob C.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks