• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m211 transmission rebuild woes!

stephenfeldmeier

Well, I have been away for sometime now. I was in the process of making a video on the assembly of the m211 and 135 transmission, but I ran into a SNFU. The thrust bearing between the input and output shaft I don't have. I have 3 different sizes but the proper size I don't have. But in the time I have been away from this project, the seals are darn near to impossible to get. So if I do start up this again when I find that thrust washer I will have to make my own seals.

Right now my garage is a mess since I was modifying my M-211 for parade use. I know some members like keeping these vehicles as pristine as possible, but what I have done can always be turned back to original. So what did I do to my M-211?

I put turn signals on for starters and running lights. I took off the outside exhaust that ran up the side behind the passenger door. I had a backfire that blew off the front of the muffler. Since I could not find an original muffler I ran a temporary muffler and exhaust pipe under the bed of the truck. This setup is much easier for use with parades. The people riding in the back don't get a face full of exhaust fumes plus we don't have to worry about the flags getting caught up in the exhaust stack any more. As you can see in my photos I have acquired a 5 ton. The M-38 is not mine, I wish it was. The parade picture was Veterans Day, I think it was either 3 degrees or Zero, but it was cold. Nothing worked on the truck that day. Speedo did not work, brakes were sticky, the batteries were weak and froze, had to get two new batteries minutes before the parade. Also installed rifle mounts. All I need now is a paint job on it.
IMG_3508.jpg 1111141309l.jpg IMG_3510.jpg IMG_3505.jpg IMG_4168.jpg 102.jpg

USMC 00-08

Welcome back! I wondered what ever happened to you and making the transmission rebuild video.

What seals are you needing? I'll get online and help look.

Several of us put together a parts list with modern part numbers to keep our trucks going. If you have any part numbers that we are missing, would you let me know so I can add them to the list? We have no transmission part numbers.

Here is a link to the thread the parts list is in.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137722-G749-Parts-List

Good to see you back!

stephenfeldmeier

Well thanks, The part I'm looking for (if anyone has the TM 9-8025-2) on page 173 "Item B" a thrust washer that has a number stamped on it. Example it will be a single digit 1-5,- 1, 2, 3, 4, or a 5. I think I need a 3. But I have to look again. This washer if too thin the two tours halves will hit each other or too thick the two shafts will bind up.

My front pump is starting to wear as it whines a little when it gets hot when going into reverse, I know my idle is low, I have a REB kit on my truck. So I don't need to have a high idle just to keep the transmission in a constant drive. Plus my rear seal leaks a little when it gets hot. So Im going take out the Dextron III which it's a 10 wt oil and probably go with NAPA's 20wt or 30wt hydraulic oil. That should temperalry fix the problem until there comes a time to drop the transmission for a "major problem" NAPA's hydraulic oil is compatible with C-4 Allison transmissions and anything that is rated for C-4 Allison is the best for these.

USMC 00-08

Have you checked with these guys? I can find several places online that sell Hydramatic parts, but I am not sure what kit we need.

http://www.autotran.us/index.html

Hopefully we can find a rebuild kit that will work. I have one or two of these transmissions that may need rebuilt too.

I have used the Hy-tran equivalent oil in mine with very good results so far. The oil at NAPA would probably be just as good or better than Hy-tran and better than the Dexron. The transmission in my only fully functional M135 had Dexron in it and I noticed a big difference after I switched.

Last edited:

stephenfeldmeier

It would be the Hydra-matic one. Hydramatic is a hydramatic but look for the year early 50's the two band one would probably be the closest to the 301's used in the m211. But I have never talked to these guys for the link you posted, but matching the sizes of clutch plates the number of teeth etc will get you pointed in the right direction. One good thing about the TM9-8025-2 is that in the very front, all the dimensions of every part in the transmission is listed for this very reason. That's one thing unique about the M211 and M135 is that military experimented to utilize a civilian "truck" same engine, transmission, drive train and brakes but the only difference is a military style of cab and cargo bed for their cargo trucks. The military wisdom was the availability of parts, a good thing for logistics. The military did not have to "stock up" their warehouses for a "one of a kind part". Thats why NAPA and all the other parts stores have so many parts still available for the drivetrain portion of these trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks